HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:05:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Bottle Jaw/Barber Pole worm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Topic: Bottle Jaw/Barber Pole worm  (Read 35958 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »

oh she looks miserable out her eyes doesn't she?  Poor baby. 

Beganaud, what's "wool"?  I have to learn this Louisiana terminology.

~ Birdie ~
begnaudfarms
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »

i dont know the real name but it is a worm and it gets just under the skin they can be popped out u can see the skin move it looks like a stinging catapiler but fatter and with rings around it
Ace
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »

i dont know the real name but it is a worm and it gets just under the skin they can be popped out u can see the skin move it looks like a stinging catapiler but fatter and with rings around it
I've heard of those, too, but we've never had them with our cattle.  I'll see if I can locate the exact name of what they are called.  I don't believe they are the same type of worm that causes the bottle jaw.  Actually, bottle jaw is a sign of anemia caused by worm overload or sometimes sever lice infestation.  When they get to this point with worm overload, you have to work fast as the goat is in pretty rough shape.
Pinsprings
Goat Genius

Portrait of Me in Southern Indiana

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 10:06:14 PM »

Do you mean warble?

Ace
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

Do you mean warble?
I haven't had a chance to look it up yet, but I think that's what he's talking about, Vicky.  Do you have some info on it?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 06:08:17 AM »

Do you mean warble?

that's what we call them here too, is warble worms..those get into cuts or abrasions on the surface skin..and make huge knots on the animal as it grows and matures.  I see these more on cats than on livestock around here. 

~ Birdie ~
begnaudfarms
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »

the wools i am talking about i have seen them on livestock but not  a whole lot mostly on wild rabbits close to livestock
Pinsprings
Goat Genius

Portrait of Me in Southern Indiana

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »

We had two horses get them a couple of years ago, it was our first experience with them. One was on the face of an old gelding and the other one was on the nose of a weanling.

They are horsefly sized insects that lay eggs. Once the larvae hatch, they burrow into the skin and migrate through the tissues. When they reach a likely spot, usually the horse's back-they form anthill shaped lumps on the skin surface. Each larva's apartment has a tiny breathing hole. Crushing one in the skin can set off a possibly fatal allergic reaction. A veterinarian must carefully widen the breathing holes and then draw the larvae out. Ivermectin kills warble larvae before they can migrate.

We had to cut one out because it had died before completely maturing. The other one got raked across a gate by the weanling and knocked off, leaving a open sore that had to be doctored.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:25:21 PM by Pinsprings » Logged

begnaudfarms
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 11:09:11 PM »

that would be wools pinsprings
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 04:55:35 AM »

now that's GROSS!!  I've never seen that before in my life.  Born and raised on a farm, with horses all my life, cattle all my life, and now goats and thank God I've never seen that before.  Ewwww!!

~ Birdie ~
begnaudfarms
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 08:48:24 AM »

u will see one eventually birdie casuse a freind of mine in north louisiana had some on his and it sandy hilly country there too
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »

well lets hope my delouser and wormer work well enough to avoid it.

~ Birdie ~
begnaudfarms
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 09:37:13 AM »

i hope u dont but if u do they are always that bad most of them u can pop them out like a sticker in your hand i saw them on a wild rabbit while hunting the skin was actually crawling and the rabbit had been dead for hours
Creek Goats
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2009, 09:41:06 PM »

If the goat is a kid, it is probably just "milk neck" and is nothing to worry about.  The swelling should be soft and under the chin. It happens sometimes when the moms are good milkers.  We had several babies with milk neck.  It will go away.

Bottle jaw IS something to worry about.  We had an adult goat with it.  We  had to aggressively treat it with a wormer.  We also used red cell.  It worked well.
cameldairy
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 11:39:40 PM »

Well I have a baby goat that has this lump under her jaw, right up against her neck. She is a HUGE baby. She has no signs of discomfort and is growing at an unbelievable rate.  The mom's got plenty of milk, could this be just "milk neck" too?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: