HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 01:59:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Bottle Jaw/Barber Pole worm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Topic: Bottle Jaw/Barber Pole worm  (Read 35990 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 06:14:43 AM »

In babies, when I see that milk lump..I just for joy..it means their moms are producing good rich healthy milk for them.  I would imagine if you have a baby with a lump in the throat area, it's just a milk lump and we can jump for joy that the baby has that. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
cameldairy
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »

Well that sure is a relief for me, cause for some reason that babies the wildest I have ever seen and her mom's the sweetest pet and ALWAYS wants attention from me. Roll Eyes
RoseOfSharonAcres
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »

Sadly, I had this problem this year.  I've learned a lot of tough lessons about the absolute need to treat chemically in the wet south.  Buttons jaw was awful....I treated with Ivomec Plus (which gets all parasites) for 3 10-day cycles.  I injected as the package indicates.  I also did care for anemia per this link:

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

This lady truly knows her stuff about goats. Buttons will be a special need goat for a while and will continue to be treated with Red Cell and B-12 injections.  I'm happy to report that the jaw swelling is almost gone but she still has a way to go before she's up to par.

I learned that herbal wormers, while wonderful, don't get the liver flukes and lung worms.  I should have treated chemically after kidding in 3 rounds, THEN gone to herbal.  Tough lesson - just thankful that I didn't loose Buttons.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »

it is a tough lesson Monica..I tried that natural worming stuff once, and vowed I'd never do it again, but our issue was with hookworms, not bottle jaw.

Geritol treats anemia just as well and just as fast as what tennessee meat goats advises and is a lot less expensive and less threat of over dosing.  Spinach leaves, cooked oatmeal w/raisins, the list could go on and on. 

I'm sorry this happened to you.  We learn every day with these goats.  I hope your girl is doing better very quickly.

~ Birdie ~
moonspinner
Caprine Guru

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »

Birdie, what is your dosing on the Geritol? I have used a similar tonic called SOS.
BTW, how many up north have enocuntered barber pole? I've never had it show on a fecal and don't know of anyone in my neck of the woods who has either. 
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »

Haven't seen or heard of anyone having it around this neck of the north woods!!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »

Nor have I but the Boer goat people have had clinics that stress the importance of treating for it?! Maybe with most of the original (and still now) Boer breeding stock coming from the west and south, some of the Boers in this area do have it? I don't know, but I sure hope not!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »

http://www.goatbiology.com/milkgoiter.html

Another thought on "milk goiter" or "milk neck" I found a while ago while looking it up online. It sometimes made no sense if the kids who had it were being raised on calf milk replacer or reduced fat milk from the store and their intake limited by the owner. I've had bottle babies with it who were being fed 3.5% fat milk (USDA whole milk) from the store. That's certainly not very rich when compared to what my does were giving. Plus, when I have to feed a bottle baby, I only get to give them bottles 3 times a day because of work.

Just another school of thought. One of the goat vets that come up here for a Boer clinic from one of the colleges from "AWAY" (I forgot which one, didn't mean much to me at the time anyway and it was several years ago) gave the same above explanation too.

I dunno. All I care about is that it's not a serious defect in my kids, whatever the real cause.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2009, 06:27:49 PM »

I dose geritol to a goat weighing over 125lbs about 3 to 4 cc's once daily for about 3 to 4 days.

~ Birdie ~
Seanang
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »

Unfortunately we're quite well acquainted with barbers pole in our area.  We live in a quite humid area with good rainfall which is, apparently, fantastic conditions for Barber's Pole worm to live in.  Our vet has done a lot of research in this area, there used to be quite a lot of fibre and meat goats in our areas, and he identifies this as one of the biggest hurdles to overcome.  We're quite adept at identifiying any goats that show up with bottle jaw now.  I always keep a horse wormer handy for those one off goats that need to be wormed.  As a general rule, it's my nubians that seem to be more affected.  I can't think of any of my saanens that have had bottle jaw.  Touch Wood.  I do know that they have had barber's pole though, as we send a worm test away every few months, just to check exactly what we've got on our property, what's in their manure and what the worm is resistant to in our area.  At the moment we're using Dectomax and the goats are looking really good.  We've just been through a terrible season.  We had three floods in four months, lost all of our grazing as our flats were under water and died or soured.  And everything is looking good.  We generally worm horses, goats, sheep and cattle at the same time.
Gagie
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »

I want to thank everyone for post on bottle jaw/ barber pole all your info helped me very, very much. I have had a bout with this and it's no fun. Ya'll helped more than anything I found in cyber-space. I have had goats for 30 years and never had this, didn;t know what was wrong with my goats.  Nubians seem to be the only ones effected by it.  had a couple of does come dow with it after they kidded, they had been wormed but I guess they need more.  We have had alot of rain since Dec. and gound was standing in water in some places, guess that had something to do with it.  Thanks again for all your info......Does anyone remember how long recovery took???Milk is starting to pick back up but not where it should be from these does.....
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2010, 01:56:03 PM »

I know it takes several months.  Some goats do not rebound well from it, so make sure the supportive therapy continues as long as need be..that's an important aspect of dealing with the side affects of bottle jaw.

~ Birdie ~
BackofBeyond
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »

It takes a while.  Once the worms are under control, the battle is against the anemia.  I think I fed my last one supplemental iron twice a day for at least a month before I was comfortable with her color.
Gagie
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »

Well itsme again..The babies that came from the does that had bottle jaw,how soon should they be wormed?  In dogs if the mom has worms the babies likely to have them , so seems like they would need worming sooner than 3 months old? Just want to keep on top of these BAD worms.  I hope we never have these again. I'm beginning to like the taste and smell of red cell before breakfast...lol  Thanks for all the help
Sandie
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 07:48:39 PM »

you are  correct if mom has worms so do the kids when they are born. you can worm with cydectin when they are just a couple weeks old but i don't know if it does barber pole worms since we don't have them here. i have used ivomec for kids at 1 month old a few times. and dectomax on month old kids . the main thing with worming them real young is make sure you are accurate on the dose for them all wormers are hard on the liver and kids are still growing and developing so you don't want to overload the liver with to big a dose.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: