HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Sally P's mix..
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Sally P's mix..  (Read 8679 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: February 05, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »

I've had a lot of people write and ask me "what's the weak kid mix", or "what's in Sally P's mix?" and so forth..so I figured I'd post it here so it's easy to find and ready when you are.

Sally P's weak/cold/lethargic/ goat remedy..brings body temp's up, gives quick energy, and strength.

Sally P's Mix
Mixed equal parts of each ingredient

Strong Black Cooled Coffee
Molasses or Karo Syrup
Whiskey (can be any liquor--except beer or wine)

can be given every 30 minutes to an hour if needed.

kids/newborns/weanlings
start with 1cc to begin with on newborns
kids/weanlings 2 cc's
adults 3cc's

This is the way I dose it, but Sally might adjust the amounts.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »

Actually I usually mix it with hot coffee--cause it comes out of the coffee pot and I just throw a thrid of each in.  I don't bother to measure necessarily cause it's usually a rusyh situation.
Also--I'm more inclined to pop a good 2 or 3 cc's into a baby if necessary--especially the first dose.  At the point that you need this mixture, too much isn't going to hurt them any more than not giving them anything.
And you know---if I had no liquor and only wine--I'd use it!!!
Grannies Nannies
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »

I didn't have liquor or wine, and it worked!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »

yeppers you can use it without the whiskey or any liquor..but it works faster if you do Smiley

You can purchase those sample bottles at any liquor store (I can't buy liquor here Sad we're a dry county, so we have to go across the state lines), they are pretty cheap, and small enough to fit right down into your vet box and take up very little room, and they keep forever.

There are all sorts of things you can do with liquor..it can be used to disinfect a wound when you need something quick or you're out of alcohol or you're stuck in a place you can't get alcohol.  Disinfect needles with it in a pinch (not saying that is the best way to go now, we should always have plenty of needles on hand so we don't have to reuse a needle). 

~ Birdie ~
goats4me
Goat Genius

the 'endless mountains' of n.e. penna

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »

i finally got my little bottle of whiskey-------opted out of jack daniels and went for the least expensive of the lot--$1.50.  so now i think have just about every remedy ever mentioned on here..........and i will be safe forever from anything ever happening.  or so it seems to work for me.

Serendipity Farm
a place meant to be
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 04:08:16 PM »

Heehee, you know how I get mine G4M?  Tugboat is a collector of the Crown Royal glasses that come out in a gift set every year at Christmas, and someone always gets him that gift set for Christmas..so he has gosh I don't know how many full size bottles of Crown Royal up there..but the glasses are really cool!  lol.  I have enough whiskey to supply many breeders who need it.  Heehee. 

We're not drinkers so it just sits up there.  Smiley

~ Birdie ~
goats4me
Goat Genius

the 'endless mountains' of n.e. penna

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »

you're gonna have a lot of silly goats sometime...

Serendipity Farm
a place meant to be
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »

After delivering quads the Blimp was tuckered out. Gave her several cc and boy howdy she did NOT want to let go of that syringe! Sure did pick her up too! Wink
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:59:07 PM »

can you make this ahead of time and put it in your first aid kit "just in case"?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 06:41:17 AM »

I suppose you could, but I wouldn't keep it long..Molasses will spoil, so I would keep it in the frig if I did and wouldn't keep it longer than maybe 2 weeks tops.

It will get thick in the frig, so I would bring it out ahead of time and let it come to room temp or warm it under some hot water before giving it to the animal.

**note to all**
This mixture can be given to cattle as well..I've used it on my bottle calves who were really weak and down, and it works good for them too. Smiley   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:43:01 AM by imalilbirdie » Logged

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 07:43:05 PM »

I've had my molasses for a couple of years..dont see why it would spoil, especially if the liqior is in it, as it preserves just about everything.
???
CarolM
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »

I am glad to have found this.  I PM'd Sally and I guess she was too busy.   I made a pill bottle full the one time I made it and it lasted til I just went to use it and it had a couple black things floating in the bottom, so I dumped it.

I have never refrigerated the molasses from last year and it seems perfectly fine.  If its spoiled would it be mouldy or smell bad?   I agree, I would like to have this already made up so its ready in an emergency, especially since I dont drink regular coffee and would have to wait to make a special pot for a bit for the formula.

Is it possible to freeze or otherwise store so that it will last several months at least?  When I used it on a baby it doesnt take much and I dont have to use it that often, altho the ones who have had it would probably like it every day!!!

Was thinking about gving a couple shots of the whiskey only to the hyper girls who think they have to jump up on me and kick me in the thighs and pubis when its time to eat and see how that works. Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 06:04:09 AM »

Carol, Sally is gone to an 11 day show, that's why she's not answered you..I'm sure she will when she gets home.

You can mix it up and refrigerate it and see how it works if that's what you want to do.  I put my molasses in the frig, I take no chances of it spoiling.  Yes, molasses when it gets too hot it will spoil, and it's not the oils in the molasses that spoils it's the fats in the molasses and yes, it gets clumpy matter in it and even when you shake it up it won't separate..that I would throw away.

Instead of trying to mix great amounts of this stuff, mix only what you need..by going say 3cc' of each ingredient..i.e.
3cc molasses/karo syrup
3cc cooled black coffee (which coffee spoils too)
3cc whiskey (liquour)
that would give you 9cc's of this stuff and most generally it only takes one dose maybe two doses to get an animal on their feet.

No Carol I wouldn't give that girl plain whiskey like that..I would get myself a squirt bottle, fill it full of water or acv/water mixture and squirt her with it when she gets too rowdy. 

~ Birdie ~
CarolM
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 02:39:57 AM »

Thanks tweets.  The squirt bottle worked the first 2 times .  After that they just laughed at me.  They are laughing at the hose and a bucket of water thrown on them now too.

They are ALL Rowdy.    I would like to dose the 4 big pygs with a little xanax 30 minutes before dinner and see if they would calm down or fall asleep, but you know I am not going to do that.
myfavgoats
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 06:59:54 PM »

Oh I am so surprised that it works for you guys. I have tried it so many time and it never works for me. I know one thing works for me is put the babies in very very very warm water in the sink and put the babies in there and warm them up. That is all it works for me.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: