HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 02:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19432 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Sally P's mix..
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Sally P's mix..  (Read 8672 times)
Sunshine
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »

Do you put them in the sink and get them wet?? Or are they in something to prevent them from getting wet and just have the warmth of the water??
 I have found this mix to work well to give them energy. I used it several times last year. I make really strong coffee too. And I dont use whiskey because I usually dont have it around. Unless I buy it for this purpose. I also will have heat lamps or a wood stove to help warm them up..
 I have refrigerated the mix for a few days.. I wonder if you could mix it and freeze it in an ice tray then pop the cubes into a bag and you only have a little bit at a time to thaw out??
pearplum
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

The Lincolnshire Fens. England.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 01:46:57 AM »

People freeze vodka so I would think it would be OK to do it.

I've never done the warm water thing but if I was going to I would put the kid in a strong plastic bag so it got the warmth without getting soaked as well. You would have to be very careful about keeping them in a warm room and drying them quickly with warm towels and a hairdryer otherwise I would think.
myfavgoats
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 09:45:01 PM »

Well I do both ways. But if it is er. and by myself. I dont use the bag cover them. I just put them. BOY it does work good! Better than plastic. But I have to dry them with towels and use hairdryer and dry them really well and kept them inside the house for lil bit until they are stronger. Then put them back.. It works for me. I have tried the sally p's mix and no success for me. who knows why..
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 05:00:20 AM »

if it's not working right, then you're not mixing it right or not giving it right.  I've used this mixture for EONS, on horses, cows, goats, and even hogs.  It's never failed me yet in 38 yrs of using it.

Getting a tiny baby who is weakened and sickly wet that way, stands a huge chance of killing it later on with induced pneumonia.  That's a very risky thing to do and not usually advised to folks to do that procedure with infant babies.  Not only does it shock the system, and throw one into instant stress, but it also risks, the induced pneumonia. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 07:07:05 AM »

I have great luck with taking a chilled newborn baby and plopping them in warm water (head held out of the water) until their temp is up and they are not chilled any more. The ones I do this too are newborns and still wet anyway. Once they are warm, I rub them real well and use a hair drier on them then set them in a box of hay and wearing a dog sweater inside the house. If they are going to be a bottle baby (ugh) they get put in a dog crate near the wood stove. If they are going back out to Mom, I make sure they are very dry and keep them in the area furthest from a heat souce until they are ready to go back outside. One of my dogs, Storm, takes great care of the babies. He licks and gets them up and moving just like their mom.

If I need to give the kids a stimulant, I give them a small amount of warmed Rock Star (mocha non carbonated) energy drink. I never have alcohol in the house but I usually have Rock Star in the fridge. If they are in a real bad way, I will warm up glucose or dextrose and water and give it to them sub Q, usually with B complex added.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
myfavgoats
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »

Ditto what Dragonlair.

I rather to use colostrum than sally p's mix. I feel that it make sense that I should warm them up FAST is very warm or almost hot water and give them very warm colostrum while they are in the sink. It works good for us. Colostrum will absorb in their stomach if you give them first.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »

Colostrum or milk given to any goat with a temp lower than 100 will kill a baby.  No they can't digest it with low body temps, so I do hope you are bringing up the temp to at least 100 degrees before pushing colostrums or milk.

~ Birdie ~
myfavgoats
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 10:41:24 PM »

Oh of course. The baby is always warmed first before feeding them.We always do that..
Cruicky
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »

Hiya, this might be interesting for you - my vet tells me brown sugar/ molasses/ golden syrup hot water and ginger powder for my goats if they get run down like that.  Not sure about ginger and kids though.  My guys were 4+ when he first told me that remedy.

Alison
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 09:14:18 AM »

I too, can't have liquor in the house.  We used the coffee/molasses mix on Blue last year and I think that's what saved her then.

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: