HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 01:38:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44866 Posts in 3030 Topics by 813 Members
Latest Member: Capricorn
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  goat with greatly engorged teat
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: goat with greatly engorged teat  (Read 2915 times)
papa_c
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »

We have one doe who kidded about a week ago. Prior to her kidding one teat always gets really enlarged and with her going through the bushes and briars, she always manages to get it so  sore she won't let her kid nurse it. Last year we milked her out and somewhere Pop found a rounded needle device you use for draining the teat. I have milked her out every day since she kidded until today and I couldn't get her started giving milk. Of course Pop has put the needle up so he would remember where it was at but now cant find it. Anyone know what these are called. Have tried doing a search on teat drainers on Jeffers but no luck. Need a little advice please. Thanks
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »

Sounds like you need to really massage that udder and put some hot packs on it.  Then try milking.  This is a routine that you have to do as often as possible--like every couple of hours.  You need to move the Milk/congestion in that udder.
The infusion tubes you are looking for are in Jeffers catalog on page 27.  They are called infusions---not drainers.
papa_c
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:54:50 PM »

Thank You Sally.  Knew someone could probably put a name too it and thanks for the advice on hot packs. Have a great day
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »

The reason I suggested massage and hot packs is that there is a chance she is developing mastitis.  So you need to get that congestion that is preventing you from milking to move.  When you massage---don't be gentle about it.  And really milk pretty vigorously too.
papa_c
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »

You may be right but don't think she is getting mastitis. She runs loose in pasture all year and is pretty wild but I can catch her with feed. I have been able to milk her out until today but of course have to tie her up to do it. But the teat is almost 3 inches across at the top and is large all the way down. Today I just couldn't seem to get the flow started. We have been using her milk for bottle feeding another kid. Tried to put him on her instead of milking but she threw a fit. Any good ideas on how to get her to take him. We have tried putting her milk on his back and down his tail and he has been drinking her milk for about a week.
Sandie
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »

some does will just not adopt but the ones that do it usually takes at least 2 weeks for them to accept a kid. so keep trying to put him on her and using her milk you may have to tie her and tie one leg back to keep her from kicking till they both get used to the idea.
if you are looking to oder from jeffers on line the tubes you want are here  http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/products.asp?CID=2&mscssid=9DFDR46QSDFA8HMMUSSTNX22GGVH2K72&dept_id=526&Area=&browselist=464&sort=&c=11
hopefully that link will work for you.
papa_c
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »

thanks again for the good advice. I was able to lay her down and Pop and I got the bottle baby Billy on her this afternoon. He hadn't been fed all afternoon and was ready so he finally figured out what to do with some urging. He drained her which is what I havent been able to do and know he hurt her a lot less than what I do when I try to milk her out. If she will just accept him after a couple of weeks even, it would be so much easier than trying to milk her. I don't mind milking one with normal size teats but this one was next to impossible. She gives plenty of milk for 2 babies but both times since we have had her, she only has one. Thanks again and have a great week.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »

boy I know what you mean PapaC, goodness me oh my I've got a girl out here that singled her last kidding which was the first time she's ever singled..and man milking that doe was pure torture! 

~ Birdie ~
papa_c
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »

Wished I had thought to take pictures before and after. Was the first time today in quite a while that the teat was near normal sized and lots of wrinkles. Hooray  Hate to see any of them in pain or stress and she had to be most uncomfortable with it that big and sticking out to the front. Just right to catch every briar and bramble.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »

Well maybe that little guy of yours will be able to keep her nursed down a few times a day. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »

Some does need to be milked both AM & PM even with a kid on them---so if you want that teat to stay close to normal size, I would suggest milking twice a day--three times (at noontime) would be preferable.  Then when the kid get older and takes more milk, you can let up on the milking.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: