HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 04:13:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44894 Posts in 3030 Topics by 813 Members
Latest Member: Capricorn
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Udder sores
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Udder sores  (Read 3509 times)
Galavanting Goats
Goat Genius

« on: May 11, 2009, 07:16:14 PM »

I noticed both Lollipop and Treacle (whome are both being milked and have kids on them) have sores on their teats, I havn't noticed sores on the kids mouths or anywhere else on them or the mothers, any idea what this could be?.
 Does sore mouth need to start on the mouth area (we've never had it before) Also, is it spread to humans?, I ended up with a sore a few days ago (after I noticed it on the girls), now DH has one on his mouth too, we just assumed we had a cold sore but unusually mine itself is not on my lip its next to it.
 I wasn't too concerned when I saw these little sores on the girls becuse we have a huge slab of concrete in one of the yards that the goats love to lay on but it also sits very high off the ground and their teats tend to scraped of get knocked in that area, And with the babies feeding from them I thought maybe it may have been their teeth biting the teat.
 Any ideas would be appreciated, I will try get some pics before I let them out this morning. Smiley
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:41:27 PM »

it's not unusual for the does to get nursing sores on their teats when the kids start getting a little older and their teeth get sharp.  Clean them with peroxide and then put some bag balm on them.
The goats don't get sore mouth on the udder---what they may get is goat pox---little sores with a white tip that look like acne pimples. 
Galavanting Goats
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:43:50 PM »

Thanks Sally, our produce store doesn't sell bag balm so would there be anything else you could suggest?, I'm just loading some pics now and will post them.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:51:21 PM »

Any thing like a softening cream---use a good hand cream that doesn't have too much perfume in it.
Galavanting Goats
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 09:57:35 PM »

o.k., does sorbeline cream sound o.k. to use?
 I took a look on Lollipops teats but she only had a tiny little pustule looking sore for some reason I thought she had it bad, I must have been thinking about both of Treacles teats Roll Eyes.
 Here are a couple of pics of Treacles teats, they don't seem to be showing any sign of soreness but they sure do look sore. Bub drinks from the one teat so if she has sores on both does that mean shes drinking from both but favouring one in particular?

Oh forgot to mention that the sores are right next tothe orifice.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:00:18 PM by Galavanting Goats » Logged
pearplum
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

The Lincolnshire Fens. England.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:52:08 AM »

Hmm...that doesn't look like what I call Goat Pox but it certainly looks very sore. Goat Pox usually looks more dry and scabby than that. I wonder if bathing with diluted tea tree would help? It almost looks like damage caused by the baby sucking too hard. Might be worth checking her teeth perhaps!
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:37:10 AM »

Yep--looks like infamous baby teeth to me!!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:51 AM »

Our babies teeth never hit on the end of the teat, but would where the teat joins the udder..I don't know that this is because of baby teeth..but I do agree with Sue, it doesn't look like goat pox either, except for that one spot on the side of the teat..that could be goat pox but doesn't appear scaley like pox does.  I wonder if this is sore mouth?

~ Birdie ~
Galavanting Goats
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 07:20:53 AM »

I have noticed bub loves to suck on fingers and bite, Indianna doesn't he just walks away, but give Treacles gir ya finger and ya almost lose the thing, and she has a very powerful suck on her, could the suction at the top back of her mouth be causing a blister on the teat?
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 07:41:33 AM »

I would be willing to bet that is baby teeth sores.  Looks like what we've had many a time.  That's about the time the does start pulling away from the kids----it hurts!!!!  Little boys are realy good at creating udder sores.
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:09:45 AM »

I've noticed a couple of does get those sores on the ends of their teats when the fly population is really bad. They are attracted to the milk and baby saliva and the does (it was a mother/daughter team  that were especially sensitive to insects) would break out in an allergic reaction. I used an ointment made for open wounds that contained an insect repellent on the teat ends and it helped heal and keep the sores away. Because the kids were on the doe, I had to seperate the kids from them, letting them in to nurse periodically until the wounds healed.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Galavanting Goats
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 08:29:39 PM »

o.k. just finished milking and they have spread, only around the teat area, could this be teat warts?, I put sorbeline cream on her teats, but went to take a drink and got pretty grossed out. The main on in the picture is now bigger and very crusty looking as if its about to explode, its also very hard.

Dragon, we are in Autumn here at the moment so we don't have flies hanging around although we do have midges in the evening on dusk.
 Bub only drinks from 1 teat that I know of but i'm not 100% sure. I will bath it today and see how she goes.
Pacqio
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 09:16:48 AM »

I use Aloe Vera gel for humans on teat sores ... works wonders

as for the cause of them ... I dont know  ??? I've only had teeth sores at the top of the teat where it meets the udder, never on the tip like that
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »

I've had them close to the end of the teat.  Our babies don't put the whole teat in their mouth!!
Galavanting Goats
Goat Genius

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 05:36:03 PM »

Sally thats what makes me think the sores are not from the bub because they are also up quite high where bub doesn't suck or can't reach. I'm just about to go out and milk and bath the teats/udder to see how she is.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: