HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Infrastructure change is complete!
Thank you for your cooperation.

Stats
22770 Posts in 1668 Topics by 836 Members
Latest Member: Grammykkh
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Question.
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Question.  (Read 802 times)
animegalash
Goat Genius

« on: February 10, 2010, 04:46:43 PM »

This is probably one of the most novice questions ever. How does one harvest cashmere? And what time of year?
I have this mix breed doe and this is the first winter we've had her, or goats for that matter. She is growing a pretty and soft coat of tan cashmere. I was wondering because I'd like to take the cashmere and see what i could do with it. Smiley

I luv my herd. Jack, Maisey, Peanut, Maybelle, Tessa, Jenni, Ernie, Ricky Riccardo, Bruno, Abi, Mimzy, Gypsy Jan.

http://sandyoaksfarm.webs.com/
Sandie
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »

you comb it out usually , a de matting rake for dogs works well for it.  and you want to do that as soon as they start shedding which will be a bit different depending on your weather but some of mine are starting to shed now.  you can have them sheared but then it is a real pain to get the gaurd hair out of it.
animegalash
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »

Ah thanks. Smiley no shedding here yet. I think the unusually cold weather for our area is gonna make the shedding wait a while longer than usual as well. Smiley

I luv my herd. Jack, Maisey, Peanut, Maybelle, Tessa, Jenni, Ernie, Ricky Riccardo, Bruno, Abi, Mimzy, Gypsy Jan.

http://sandyoaksfarm.webs.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: