HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  very interesting, Lavender essential oil and vitamin c
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: very interesting, Lavender essential oil and vitamin c  (Read 10412 times)
Galavanting Goats
Goat Genius

« on: December 04, 2009, 07:44:10 AM »

I thought I would post this as it may be helpful to someone.

As some of you know we have had MASSIVE problems with paralysis ticks on our dogs and now on our goats. The expensive medications were not working so I decided to see what I could find out for myself and this is what I found.

Lavender essential oil, a drop between the shoulder blades and in the middle of the back of the dog will keep fleas and ticks at bay, so far so good for us, its working but we're still in the trial period. We re apply every 2-3 days.

Vitamin c powder (1 teaspoon) per day in the dog and goat feed is a deterrent for ticks and fleas.
Yellow sulpher in the goat feed also helps with tick prevention.

Intravenous vitamin c for a dog/goat in tick paralysis coma will pull the animal out of the coma according to Pat Coleby Australias top goat raiser. this is also used for poisionings and snake bites regardless of the type of snake.- Natural Goat care by Pat Coleby.
Sunshine
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »

I use Rosemary oil for our house dogs for fleas and its working! Just has to be applied more often than a tick repellent.
 On the sulphur be careful because sulphur binds copper and it can cause a coper defiency in goats.
 Vitamin C is good to have on hand goats make their own Vit C but if mine are having any kind of infection or stress I do give them a few doses of it.
Galavanting Goats
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 07:11:07 PM »

Thanks for mentioning the Rosemary, I get headaches from the stuff I will let my friend know as she likes the all natural stuff too.
 Yes I recall studying up on the sulphur we used to give it to our rescue goats when we first started (never had worm problems in all the time we had them except for when they first arrived). I stopped using it when we re homed them  but never continued when we picked up from where we left  off.
 I had been doing some in depth study on it last night and Pat Coleby was saying she prefers to use doses of the vitamin c rather than antibiotics with excellent results. I am surprised just how valuble vit c is to use.

I find that I have been so dependant on medications given by the vet its been a case of "the vet can fix the problem or the animal will die" as most of the meds availble can only be distributed by our vets here in Australia so if the vet is not availble then we lose our goat.
 So now we are looking at alternatives we can use to help prevent and deal with any issues that arise to help keep the goat going until the vet arrives (which can be up to 2 days due to being in demand which isn't uncommon).

When Aunty Mable went into labor she was bleeding badly from the vulva, we rang about 8 vets for help, none could help/come out for several hours if at all and one (whom deals with livestock and goats) told me to leave her be for 1/2 hour and give them a call back, I had never seen anything like it so I contacted Cartreff (here on GB) who was a great help, I went straight in and brought out a dead buckling which the sack had busted, I then brought out a half dead doeling in which the sack had also busted and one very exhausted mum whom was showing no outward signs of contractions. If only I had've known then what I know now about the natural preventatives, it may have helped.
Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »

You ought to look into Comfrey for healing. Dandelion is also good very high in Vit. C. I have found if I cant get them to eat the herb I can make a tea with it add molasses and they drink it right up!
 I have had trouble in the past with tangeld kids on certain does.. SO this year a month before delivery I am going to start Red Raspberry tea for them... They like it! It cant hurt at all... It strengthens the uterus and helps milk production.
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:56:10 PM »

I gathered all the Raspberry leaves I could find from the garden before they started to fall, I have 2 big grain sacks full of them.... dried them in the barn and now I give a handful every day as this too is good for the uterus and when kidding apparently, sorry I cannot remember where I read it, the goats love it....and I looked at the pink of the mouth today and either we do not have worms around here or the mixture of walnuts, pumpkin and wormwood does work, I checked all the goats I look after and they are all the same....nice red lips  Grin

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »

You have to be careful with drying your own raspberry or any of the berry vines and leaves as they can get a type of mold if not dried properly. Its highly toxic. Just a warning I read in all of my books about harvesting your own.
 The red raspberry strengthens the uterus so it should help get kids in the right position.
 If they dont go to the same area to graze every day it will make a big difference in parasite loads. Because they dont get reinfested and it works well with the natural dewormers. Wormwood is also suppose to be used very cautiously with pregnant people or animals..
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 05:21:42 AM »

Back when Goatweb was still going..

The herbal wormer being sold in there..was mixed too strongly with wormwood, and it killed several goats, from newborn babies to adult goats.

I would be ever so cautious with wormwood at any point.

~ Birdie ~
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »

Birdie, this is one of those informational threads that probably ought to be "stickied".  There's some good info here that I'd hate to see get swept out in the monthly housecleaning.

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 08:26:30 AM »

Marta, it sounds like your goats are using lipstick! Maybe a little eyeshadow too? Wink

You take your goats to graze in a lot of different places, don't you? That can account for the low worm load. I'm zealous, I have 1 acre here and no place for them to browse (except maybe the neighbors garden) sigh.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 08:35:14 AM »

Birdie, this is one of those informational threads that probably ought to be "stickied".  There's some good info here that I'd hate to see get swept out in the monthly housecleaning.

it's a done deal Pam Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »

it's a done deal Pam Smiley

Thanks!  Smiley

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:31 AM »

there are 2 types of wormwood around here, a light green one and a dark green one, the darker one has all died away and the lighter (cannot remember the name of it is supposed to be ok in very small quantities, they not had it for about a week as the frosts have hit so anything in the field they used to get has stopped through caution.although they will insist on still eating the ivy, lol

and as far as the lipstick is concerned I caught her putting it on the other day  just before i took her out into the field, it was called, it was called luscious beetroot lol, she is such a dainty eater lol not at all like the normal goats of rip and pull and throw over their shoulders lol

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
pearplum
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

The Lincolnshire Fens. England.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 03:00:45 AM »

There's lots of essential oils which are useful for animals as well as people and we use them all the time. Some of our favourites are Geranium which has a great affinity for all "female" things so we put some in a massage oil if they have any udder problems or if they are very pregnant and getting a bit weary. I think most people know about citronella as an insect repellant  and tea tree as an antibacterial, anti-viral , anti-fungal, gentle and non-stinging but much stronger than Carbolic.  A few drops of marjoram somewhere on the neck/chest area helps with coughs and congestion.....and there's LOTs more. And, don't forget, because of what is called the synergistic effect a combination of different oils is usually much stronger than when they are used separately. As they last 10 years I think it's worth buying a few and having a bit of an experiment. See what works for you.
I went on an aromatherapy course a few years ago and now I incorporate it into looking after the goats whenever possible. It certainly makes them all smell delicious!
Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 08:32:16 AM »

I have found Lemongrass to work better as an insectant repellent for me. I add a little Eucalyptus in there to help.
 Lavender is by far my favorite though for just about anything! lol I havent ever taken a course Pearplum Would love too. But I have a few books that are nothing but aromatherapy. I try to use it as much as possible...
Cruicky
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 02:43:14 PM »

Hiya - I love natural remedies!

We make our own dog food - a carry over of a poiund puppy we had who had rickets and needed good food... we put garlic into our remaining dogs food and he never has fleas.

We also give him 1/2 a glucosamine tab a day and the difference in his mood and ability to get around (he is huge, 10yo and has arthritis) is amaxzing.  iw is it worked that well for me!!!

Smiley Ali
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: