HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 05:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44912 Posts in 3032 Topics by 816 Members
Latest Member: Jennie
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Possible overdose of Ivermectin?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Possible overdose of Ivermectin?  (Read 1368 times)
herdmomma
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »

I was in the process of giving my 140 pound  10 yr old doe her ivermectin wormer (I have used these wormers many of times and know how they work) but when I put it at the dosage she was supposed to get, practically the whole thing went in her mouth   enough for a 1000 pound horse   whats gona happen to her and what do I do   I tried to grab some out of her mouth but she swallowed to soon   
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 05:57:41 PM »

She'll probably get the runs.  Give her some fresh hay and also some baking soda.  That should help.
herdmomma
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:00:25 PM »

Thank you Sally, all the goats get baking soda in thier feed every day and she ate all her feed right after it happened, would that help her
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »

Would help her if her tummy gets upset----but I don't think she'll have a problem.
herdmomma
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »

I fell so much better now.
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:18:37 PM »

Ivermectin is a pretty safe and forgiving wormer. If nothing else, it will kill everything that is sensitive to it and then some! She certainly won't have lice or mange.  Wink (and no, I'm not saying she does, I am being a smart alec.  Roll Eyes)

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Sandie
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »

a one time overdose that big will not do permanent damage as was said she may get the runs or a little tummy upset.  if it was dosed that big all the time it would eventually cause liver and kidney damage but a one time oops dose isn't going to be a big deal with ivomec.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 06:48:29 AM »

I think what I would do, is pull her grain for 3 days, and offer it back slowly, half portions for a few days, increase it by small amounts until she's back to normal protions.

Ivermectrin horse paste wormer goes through them pretty fast, within 3 days it's about run it's course..only residue would remain.  Good thing she's not nursing kids, they to would get the scoots.

I think soft diarrhea is about all that's going to happen to her..she may display some hefty thirst..which is ok too.  Baking soda is what I would give her..if the diarrhea gets really bad and uncomfortable for her, a little pepto to help ease the stomach cramping.  It should run it's course in 3 days though.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: