HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:03:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  U.S. Selenium Level Map..
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: U.S. Selenium Level Map..  (Read 13579 times)
Sunshine
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »

Here is a link I found of a different Selenuim level map.  I dont know how old but thought you all might like to see this one..
 http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/map/image/lower48/se_aa.jpg

And this is the site I found it on... http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/high-selenium-linked-to-diabetes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:19:29 AM »

According to that map..we're now living in an area that could be high to almost dangerously high levels.  If that pink is the highest, then I need to check with our Ag Dept and find out a little more about this.

Thanks Tonia for finding this.  I'm going to make this a sticky thread.  I think we should all research our areas.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »

This map just showed what I already knew...Maine is very very low in Se. sigh.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »

Where I started with goats was right on the edge. Now I am in a deficient area.. I knew there was an older map that had been found. BUt I think it was from the 1960's. This one looked a little more updated! Glad it could be helpful..
gabbyraja
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:23:49 PM »

So, if I'm in the pretty good area (which I think is what it's telling me) does that mean I don't need the BOSS? That's why I was feeding them, right? I can't remember now. I'm so tired...
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »

what area are you in?  IF you're in the high area's -- then no, you don't want to feed it.  Medium areas is ok, I was back in AR considered the Medium to low area and I fed it and had no troubles.

I fed BOSS, because it not only gave natural selenium but the oils were really good for the goats skin and hair coats.  The shells were good for fiber.  The fats and proteins were high.  And BOSS is considered a part of natural worming.

But I'm talking about Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds..that's high in natural selenium..I didn't have to give Vit E gel w/selenium or the BoSe shot.

~ Birdie ~
gabbyraja
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 03:05:42 PM »

I'm in St Johns, MI. It's the yellow to almost orange color in the center of MI on the map. I think that's the moderate levels that means I don't HAVE to supplement. But I thought the BOSS had to do with the oils, too. Didn't think about the hull fiber, and forgot it increased the protein levels to a good level for most pre-mix 12-14% grains. Thanks.
Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 07:24:32 AM »

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html
 Adding this link as it can show Selenium by county..
kmiles
Caprine Guru

“A goose, a woman and a goat are bad things lean"

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »

the break down by county is GREAT!

Thanks for the link Sunshine   well_done1

happyjunker
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »

Looks like we are sitting pretty good here in Lincoln County!  Thanks for posting the map Tonia!
kabkennels
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »

I am in Hidalgo County Texas that is the bottom tip of Texas. It says I am .18/-.10. I take it that is low. This being the case what can I do to suppliment the goats and keep them healthy? Keep in mind I am a newbie.

Nancy Crandall
Kabina Brittanys and the Seven Goats
Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »

That is low! 3.0 is normal..  A mineral with a good amount of Selenium in it.. My mineral I have right now is 48 ppm. I am in a low Selenium area. It is mixed Locally. First time I have found it with Selenium that high. So first thing would be to find the mineral with the highest Selenium content.. Also if you are breeding then I would start BoSe shots. You get those from your vet most will sell a bottle. Its once a year for bucks, wethers and no breeding does 2-3 times a year for breeding does. I give it Right before breeding, 4-6 weeks before kidding and at kidding.
 However Selenium can be overdosed and it doesn't take much to overdose adn nothing you can do to stop. If you don't have any problems I would start with a good mineral and give you breeders the BoSe.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 06:48:17 AM »

since you're not having any issues at this point..maybe a good mineral (based for your area), and BOSS on top of their feed would level you off just fine.  This is where I would call area goat herders and see how they are managing their selenium levels.  Since selenium can be overdosed easily, and there is no treatments to bring them out of the overdose, I'd use caution, and speak with the area Vets and other herders.

my husband family lives down on the tip of Texas..as far south Texas as you can get..my MIL ran some Spanish goats and they every one died, and I'm sure it's because they didn't have the right supplements and they didn't ask me to find out what to do for them when they got sick..I don't even know that they knew they were sick until it was too late.  They'd never owned goats before.

~ Birdie ~
kabkennels
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »

Okay guys I am in a county with .18 (Hidalgo County TX which is at the very bottom texas). If normal is .30 than I am very low. What should I do to help my goats get their proper dose of Selenium? Is this something they should be getting daily? I doput out Horse blocks that appear to have selinium and copper in them but not all the goats appear to enjoy it.
Nancy Crandall
Kabina Britts and the Seven Goats
Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »

You need to find a good goat mineral that has at least 3.0ppm of Selenium and 1500 of copper. That will insure that you have enough and then you can go from there. I used Manna Pro Goat mineral until I found a local mineral formulated for this area.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: