HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 09:34:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  U.S. Selenium Level Map..
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: U.S. Selenium Level Map..  (Read 13580 times)
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »

The goats will only lick on a mineral block when their body tells them they need the minerals.
Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »

You can sprinkle it over their feed to get more into them if needed.. Loose mineral does work best.
nboling
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »

Kabkennels, you can also sprinkle a little black oil sunflower seeds on their feed, those have some selenium in them as well.  They also have some fats and make the goats' coats nice and shiny. Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 04:25:11 AM »

BOSS is good for lots of things..but it's fed basically for the natural selenium it contains. 

~ Birdie ~
Hidee
Bottle Babies

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »

Here is another map.  You can click on your county it will tell you the range of Selenium for your county.

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

I am driving my husband crazy, one goat at a time!
Hidee
Bottle Babies

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »

I found that the Selenium level where I live is aprox .267 and from what I am reading .3 is normal.  Breeders in my area are giving BoSe to their goats.  Is it really needed or can I just feed BOSS?

I am driving my husband crazy, one goat at a time!
nboling
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »

I would think that if the selenium level is that high, that BOSS would work.  However, just knowing the levels of the mineral, does not always tell you if it is going to be available or not.  Every mineral has interactions with other minerals, so it is more complex than that usually.  I think though that Selenium doesn't interact as much as some of the others.  The other thing to keep in mind, is that map is by county, and they don't test from every area of every county, so they may have took the soil tests from one area that isn't deficient whereas another area might be.  The only way to know for sure is to have your own soil or hay tested.  But, since you know that at least some of your county is about spot on for selenium, I would be cautious in supplementing.  I think the BOSS would probably be the safe route if you can't get the tests done, then watch for signs of deficiency, and if you have them, then you can give the Bo-Se.  Remember, you can always give them more, but you can't take it back out once you've given it to them.
Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »

Soil is considered "selenium deficient" when there is less than 0.5 mg of selenium per kg of soil.
http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/selenium.htm
I would be giving the BoSe if the levels are below 0.5 and especially if local goat herders are giving it. I think 3.0 is normal and no need to supplement not .03. but I cant find where I got that info before.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 06:35:51 AM »

I found that the Selenium level where I live is aprox .267 and from what I am reading .3 is normal.  Breeders in my area are giving BoSe to their goats.  Is it really needed or can I just feed BOSS?

these maps are very nice to give you an approx. idea, but your still safer and better off to test your soil.  No two farms will ever be the same, so these maps are not completely accurate.  Do yourself a favor and have your soil tested, that way you know every thing you need to know about your own property.

~ Birdie ~
Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 10:11:11 PM »

Most soil test do not test for Selenium. When I did my soil test I was able to test for copper but not Selenium.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 03:54:30 AM »

ours has a check list of things we want checked..selenium is on it..if it's not we just wrote it in on the sheet.  We've always been able to get the selenium amounts on our soil samples.

~ Birdie ~
Sunshine
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 07:24:49 AM »

It wasnt on mine and I could only get what was listed. So apparently its different probably from county to county. But I do know the Mineral milled locally for goats have Much higher amounts of selenium than the national brand minerals. So they apparently know we are deficient too.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »

yeah I'd say you're right about that Tonia..I did notice our Ragland mineral (milled in Neosho, Missouri) was a little higher in selenium than the Purina Goat mineral we were using, and lots higher in copper than Purina is. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: