HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 09:14:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19532 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Novice wants to start a cashmere herd
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Topic: Novice wants to start a cashmere herd  (Read 12067 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »

Amber,
leave the doeling with her mother for as long as you can..pulling them at 2 to 3 months old isn't good for them.  I don't pull a doeling from it's mother, I let the mother wean them as she feels like it..I only take the doeling when they are around 6 months old away from their mothers.  I try to leave them as long as possible.  I interact with all my herd and my babies that are born, so none of them are wild, and they know me as well as they know their own mothers.  A Doeling, if you're going to pull it, shouldn't be pulled until it's 4 months old or older..this all depends on if the Doelings growth rate is good, she's eating grain very well, and drinking water all on her own. 

Boers need their mothers milk, they grow so fast, and gain weight so fast that they really need it.  Boer milk is very high in butter fat, and that's why their kids grow fast and put on weight fast. 

Cashmere goats are considered meat goats too, so you're not going to breed them at 70-80 or even 90lbs either.  You'll wait until they hit at least 100 or more. 

Our meat goats were 150 to 165 pounds at 10 or 11 months old..and no they weren't rushed or creep fed..that's the growth rate they grew at on a well taken care of herd and mother. 

~ Birdie ~
AmberLyn
Goataholic

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »

Ok, in that case I will talk to Ben. I don't know how much he really does with his herd beside use them for meat goats, so I dont know if waiting that long will result in wild childs. But in any case im sure that I could work something out. If he dosnt mess with them much then perhaps he would let me pick out my three does when they are 4months, but keep them on his land with their mamas till they are 6months old. Then just let me come by everyday to sortof hang out with the herd so they get used to be a bit. That may not be nessasary, but it would be nice. He is only about 5-10min from me. So it wouldnt be a problem for me.

and wow Booboo, thats insain!!

Life is random, so am I   =)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 06:59:27 AM »

It's basically not good to wean a Boer goat or any meat goat at 2 to 3 months old.  If you could even wait, and wean them at 4 to 6 months, that would be so much better for your Doelings.  The one thing they must be doing, is eating grain, hay, and drinking plenty of water on their own before you take them from Momma. 

I know you'll do what's right by them..and I also found that Doelings even when handled a bunch at newborn ages, still sometimes are touch me nots..Doelings are just that way..bucklings on the other hand, I've never had one not tame down to the point of being a puppy dogs. 

~ Birdie ~
AmberLyn
Goataholic

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »

lol thank you for that last tid bit. My first and so far only two goats where both boys and, even when they where onry, they were tame as could be. I will start making a list of thing to ask Ben so that i know what to expect when i go to purchase the does from him. Anymore questions i have on the topic of these first three does i will post as a new thread in the meat goats section. Thank you all very much!!

Life is random, so am I   =)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: