HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 11:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44916 Posts in 3033 Topics by 816 Members
Latest Member: Jennie
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  pregnant goat can't get up
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: pregnant goat can't get up  (Read 2173 times)
alana
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »

hello all you goat buddies:)  its been a long time.

my goat Red is probally 2 weeks to a month from delivery.  she usually has triplets is 5 years old and huge.  she has always been a big goat(boar) she can't get up, Darryl has to go pick her up, which isn't easy  and then she will walk around for about 3 hours  before she lays down again.
my question is, how much does she have to be up every day?  what should I be watching for? she is eating, drinking, alert. seems fine  just can't get up and is wobbly for the first few minutes, once we get her up.  thyank you.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »

howdy alana!!  Nice to see you back again.

I would say those kids are pinching a nerve in her spine or back or maybe in her hips.  Carrying that heavy load, pressure builds up, and makes it uncomfortable for her to walk.  Same with laying down, it might hurt to do it. 

I'd make sure she gets up and walks at least 3 times a day.  If you see her in pain, then we may have to do something else for her.

Her udder isn't hot or anything like that right?  Her legs aren't swollen, and hot to the touch is it? 

~ Birdie ~
alana
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:24:17 PM »

no there is no heat, she just can't get up by hersalf:(  poor girl.   ok we will keep doing what we have been doing, we have her seperated even though no one messes with her.  thank you, I was assuming that was the problem  but figured I better ask before it became something more.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »

we'll just watch and make sure her spine can handle all this.  if it is a pinched nerve this may get worse before she births the kids.  if she severs the nerve in delivery she'll never walk again.  So if she gets really bad, I'd check with your vet to do a c-section on her, so you at least save momma, and she can raise her babies.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:03:40 PM »

Well my take is just the opposite----get some molasses water into her asap.  She needs some sugar build up and as soon as possible.
Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:11:29 PM »

I would give her warm molasses water and keep helping her get up.. I would also give her some tums or some other Calcium with Magnesium. Because the babies growing will take it out of her real quick and she will be down before you know and unable to get up at all. If she isnt getting enough calcium the babies will start taking it from her bones and that makes her weak..
Pinsprings
Goat Genius

Portrait of Me in Southern Indiana

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »

Please take this very serious even if she is still eating, she needs the Molasses and Calcium if she isn't getting up on her own.

alana
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:45:35 AM »

will start on both calcium and mollases,  thank you very much.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 04:53:42 AM »

You all are having her treat for pregnancy toxemia right?  Pregnancy toxemia causes swollen legs and heat in the udder right?  She said there was none of that. 

I agree the molasses water and the calcium w/vit D added, won't hurt at all.  Good idea to do that for sure. 

~ Birdie ~
Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 05:30:42 AM »

That is some of the symptons but it can start with them just being weak like that. THen go into being swollen and heat. It will help from it getting that far..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:23:55 AM by Sunshine » Logged
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »

You can certainly have early mild signs of "milk fever" or toxemia without the swelling or other severe signs. I would treat her asap for both.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »

I've had heavy milk producers with "milk fever" hypocalcemia that started out with just not wanting to get up.  The Tums and molasses, when given early on, will really help.  I put a quarter cup of molasses and two tums into a pint or so of warm water.  The girls that need it suck it right down.  Do that twice a day until she is getting up on her own.  Be prepared to do this again for a while after she kids too because once her milk production cranks up she will need the extra calcium.

You can also just feed her the fruit flavored tums - two at a time a couple times a day.  My goats gobble them up when they need them, and turn their noses up at them when they don't need them.

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
Pinsprings
Goat Genius

Portrait of Me in Southern Indiana

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »

My goats love tums at any time.

pearplum
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

The Lincolnshire Fens. England.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get something sweet into her. The calories will give her a quick boost of energy. If she doesn't like molasses water (some don't) I find honey sndwiches never fail.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »

Yep---the first thing I would think of is toxemia.  One of the first signs is that they lay down and lay down a lot.  They don't have to have swelling or heat---that's a secondary symptom.  Now---if she were having a spinal problem caused by the kids laying on a nerve----you would see her limping on a hind leg.  If you have a doe who is prgnant, and starts limping---that's a really good sign that the nerve is being comprimised.  Usually that will disappear within a couple of weeks after kidding.
You can't really over dose with tums---so I would give her more than two.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: