HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 06:51:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
45388 Posts in 3078 Topics by 779 Members
Latest Member: jeff891
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Another pregnant goat that can't get up!!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Another pregnant goat that can't get up!!  (Read 2320 times)
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« on: February 13, 2010, 12:59:30 PM »

I have seen a post recently on this subject, but my doe may have the pinched nerve based on what I read, but I'd love y'alls opinions.

Genie is a 4 yr old Boer, always healthy but maybe a little overweight.  I had a buck break out on Sept 18, so if he bred her she would be due tomorrow, otherwise I put the buck with the does Oct 5. so her earliest due date would be March 11.
We had a record breaking snow Thursday so the goats have been in their shelters mostly, but I noticed yesterday Genie came out with the others to eat, but went back into the shelter before the feed was gone and she was limping.  I didn't think too much of it but this morning when I took that group their hay, she didn't come out of the shelter so I checked on her and she was struggling to get up.  I helped her up and she started eating hay.  I decided she needed to be in the horse barn where it's warmer and I could check her out better, so I got some alfalfa to get her to follow me and went back for her.  She would walk a step or two and her back end would just colapse.  Now she is out in the snow so I kind of drag her back in the shelter and go get my DH to help.  We get her to the barn and settled in a stall.  I gave her some molasses water and alfalfa.  I will add some calcium to the next molasses water I take her.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Denise

Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »

Forget the alfalfa---get that molasses into her asap and quite a bit of it.  Also shove some calcium into her.  You've got to be diligent about the sugar/calcium intake and do it more than once.  Like every hour or so.  Maybe not the calcium---but the molasses water.
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »

Do the calcium too.  It won't hurt her to have extra if she's pregnant and if she's got hypocalcemia then she really needs it.

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
Sandie
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »

i think i would add b complexs and extra thiamin (b1) to that list .
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »

How is she today?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »

about the same

she can get up if she really tries but she lays down mostly. She is eating and drinking, warm and dry.  I am giving her molasses water and calcium. 

dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »

Maybe it is a pinched nerve.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:39:48 AM »

maybe it will take awhile for the calcium and molasses water to build her back up.  Does your calcium have vit D added to it?  If it doesnt it won't bind to her system.  A dose of Vit AD&E gel will help with that, if you don't have any Vit D. 

if it's a pinched nerve, that most likely is stemming from being pregnant and may go either way at this point..but I'm thinking if it's due to the kids laying or pinching that nerve, then it will be better when she births but she may need some help healing and even delivering her kids.  Heavy labor would cause her some pain.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »

Maybe a few good butt & thigh massages would help too if she would let you?
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »

My pregnant goats absolutely love backrubs!

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:35:18 AM »

well yesterday when I checked on her in the morning she had kidded, 1 wasn't alive, but the other was dry and looked ok.  Genie hadn't bagged up and I really wasn't expecting her to kid but you know does.  She was still having trouble getting up and she was still passing afterbirth so I was still hopeful she would get better throughout the day.  At the afternoon check, the kid was more lethargic and Genie still wasn't getting any milk in so I gave the kid some colostrum and took him in the house.  I worked with him all night, but he died at 4:30 this morning.   Sad
Continueing to give Genie calcium with Vit D and molasses water - waiting and watching and praying

thanks,  Denise

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »

oh Denise..I'm so sorry to hear this.  Bless her heart, she's trying.  Did she kid a little early maybe?  Premie babies are really hard to save.  You did all you could and you did what was right..I'm truly sorry for your lose.

maybe it's time to call the vet, and see if your vet can get her back on her feet?  Bless her heart..I know this is a big worry for you.

~ Birdie ~
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »

The not having milk part means that something really is wrong.  I agree with Birdie that it's time to get the vet involved.

I'm sorry the babies didn't make it.   Cry

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
Ace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Illinois

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »

So very sorry.  I hope that your doe is ok.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: