HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:37:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19537 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Lgd is pregnant and I am clueless -
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: Lgd is pregnant and I am clueless -  (Read 11498 times)
Candace
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »

yes, don't let them touch it until it's out....Scold them if they try to...
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »

well Sadie is due on the 23, one week from tomorrow.

I have her in 20x30 foot pen with a 8X7 shelter and she currently has it to herself all day and shares it with 2 does and their 3 kids at night.  Everything is going well and my plan is to put up a piece of plywood across the opening after or during the time she is whelping that will allow her to get in and out but not allow the pups out, so in essence the shelter is the "whelping box". Is that OK?
I am planning to remove the goats from the area starting tonight so she will be in there alone for several days to get used to it. (Note- the male can get in and out as he pleases by climbing the fence, but she isn't able to anymore with her advanced pregnancy)  She has a lot of milk in her top teats, which seems odd to me, because I always thought the "bigger" teats were the ones near the rear?  I don't know, it's been 30 yearss since I last had a dog with puppies. 

Please let me know if any of my plans aren't appropriate, if I have forgotten anything or if you have any advice.

thanks Denise

herdmomma
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »

I really don't see the reasonn for removing the goats unless that is the only shelter there  because if the momma can get in and out of the area where the pups will be, she will keep the goats out anyway,  I never took my female away from the goats, because her and her mate worked as a team.  For about 4 days she would only leave the pups if there was a need for her to guard but after that she came and went constantly,
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »

that is the only shelter in that pen   Cry

In fact, all of my pens have 1 shelter each, but I do have a portable hut that I can put in any pen, so I could move it into that pen and leave some goats in there also if that would be better.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »

you just want to make sure your hut is big enough to house all your goats in case your LGD takes the big one that's in there now, she's not going to let the goats near that shelter..but beware that some females can get very aggressive..and harm the goats. 

~ Birdie ~
Candace
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 08:39:56 AM »

Kinda take it in stride, if she's ok with the goats, you might be ok with leaving them. If she throws a fit with you taking them away, put them back. LGDs can be temperamental, and can actually refuse to pup/fight their labor, if things arent just as they like it. So watch her and gauge her reaction....every LGD is different...

The milk in the top teats, well, if she's going to have a large litter, she's going to need milk in them all! Smiley And don't be surprised if she makes the pups "work" for thier dinner, LGDs - mom LGDs will do this sometimes....

Biggest thing, don't stress about it, she will be fine, be aware, but don't be uneasy, she will pick up on that.....

rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 09:50:41 AM »

So everything went well, except Sadie, the mom accidently smothered a few in the first few days lying on them.

Now it is 1 month later and she has 5 healthy puppies. 

Until the puppies started venturing out, the goats didn't come around them, but now the little pups will go right up to them.  There have been a few push downs by the goats, but nothing Sadie gets concerned about.
It is going smoother than I dreamed and I appreciate all of y'alls support.

Now for the ?

When will the pups start wanting/needing dog food?

And that is going to be a problem because Sadie is EXTREMELY possesive of her food and will NOT let even the pups near it.  So I guess when the time comes, I'll have to chain her up before I feed the pups.
What kind of food do they start on, dry kibble or something softer?

Thanks,  Denise

Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »

When I raised labs I would give mom her food and then give some in a separate pan to the pups at 5 weeks old. I used dry puppy food with a little water to soften till they figured it out... Which with them being labs took once or twice.. I dont think there would be much difference with the LGD's
Jekka_Lynn
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »

With Dalmations as soon as they started showing an interest in the mom's food we would cover some puppy kibble with water and let it soak over night to soften then offer that to the pups. If we had one that wasn't getting enough milk from mom or one who was especially dense and wouldn't try the food, or if we wanted to wean them and they weren't eating kibble yet we would mash some in a bowl, add water and use a syringe to squirt some into their mouths.  Once we did that a time or two they would start eating the kibble.
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

Thanks for the info.

My problem is when the puppies show interest in Sadie's food, she attacks them.  I am not saying she actually injures them, but they go off yelping.  She snarls and charges and rolls them over, scaring them away.Then she'll eat her food and go back to nurse them.  She will not share food even with her puppies and if I give the puppies a bowl of food I am pretty sure she will consider it hers.

I am thinking I will have to chain her up to offer them food.  They are super fat, so I know they are getting plenty of milk so I guess I am wondering when I must start offering them food considering Sadie will have to be chained up?

tranquility
Caprine Guru

^thats Sam^N.E. Oklahoma

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »

awww I can smell the puppy breath from here  Smiley....
Lawanna

Life is too short. Live, Love, Laugh!!!!

Keep your face to the Sunshine and you can not see the Shadows !!!!

This too shall pass
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »

Ok this morning I put all the puppies in a pen and then feed Sadie in her normal place and came back to the pen and feed the puppies.

My gosh!

I put 2 cups of dog kibble with a 1/2 of water and they ate all of it.

No one had a doubt that was food and they wanted it, which suprised me a bit because they are so chubby I figured they might not be interested in the bowl of food.  Wrong!

I stayed in there while they ate to be sure Sadie didn't interfer.

Only problem is their heads are too big for all five to get their mouths in the bowl at the same time so this evening I am going to use on old 13X9 baking pan to give them more room.  Shocked)

Candace
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »

Mine are usually eating about 3.5 - 4 weeks, and this is a critical growing time, and you are seeing that they have appetites to match! Smiley Just let them eat what they want, keeping mom away if needed....Sounds like you're doing great... Smiley
goats4me
Goat Genius

the 'endless mountains' of n.e. penna

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »

go ahead an feed them 3-4x/day, too.....they will grow like weeds and need the nutrition.  do use a pup food for them.  and you will probably need more than one of those pans for feeding.  isn't it a riot how much they get ON themselves vs IN themselves???  have always loved those early meals.   it's worth it to give them a really good quality food as you are helping to set them up for life with good development. 

have fun.  nothing like pups acting like pups....unless it's kids acting like kids, perhaps.

Serendipity Farm
a place meant to be
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »

Thanks

I am just giving dry kibble, so no "cute" mess.  They don't seem to be having any trouble eating it, although I did see one "cough" up some food once.  I just thought she need to slow down and chew, but what do y'all think?  Should I soak it first?

It is hard to feed them several times a day because their mom is crazy food aggresive with other animals, including her pups.  So I can only feed them 2 x day when she is eating her food.

But they are super chubby and nurse from her a LOT.  She is eating 8 cups of VERY high quality food and making tons of milk.

Now they are big enough to nurse while she is standing up, which is funny to watch.

thanks again Candace and goats4me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: