HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:14:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
45525 Posts in 3076 Topics by 779 Members
Latest Member: jeff891
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Whats wrong with my goats?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Whats wrong with my goats?  (Read 1832 times)
boerbaby
Caprine Guru

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »

Just a thought, but if they all look like that it seems like it must be a deficiency thing. I mean I know if a worm load gets heavy it can affect all your goats but you tend to have some that can handle more of a load than others, therefore some won't look as bad as others.

What do their stools look like? Are they having normal stools or are they having clumpy stools or diarrhea?

Kertz Farm
debpnigerians
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:15 PM »

I'm thinking more and more that it's a copper problem...what kind of minerals do you use, and how do you feed them? I would make sure they all have loose minerals in front of them all day, every day. And make sure they're goat minerals, not goat & sheep minerals cause if it's a sheep product it won't have the copper in it. You can also mix some up in your feed, so they get some when they eat.
Candace
A friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Central Kansas ~Live Life Laugh Love~

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »

Just does copper def make the bloat looking belly that was spoken of? That's the thing I'm wondering...... it could be a def of sorts....but just which one? I agree, with the pics, that might help alot....

Kelsey and Candace
http://Bar6DiamondRanch.com
Fullblood, Purebred and Percentage Boers
Purebred Nubian and Angora Goats
Club Lambs, Finn & Shetland Sheep
Norwegian Forest Cats
Great Pyrs as LGD's
giftfarms
Bouncing Babies

My Babies...Sunbathing!

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 11:17:31 PM »

Haemonchus contortus (Barberpole worms)

Is what the vet says and he only found eggs, I have wormed with Cydectin and given them all a little Nurtra Drench and V B Complex.

That being said.... I have 3 pins.  Pin 1 is an older Doe and a younger Doe, only one( older doe) seems to be suffering from worms pretty bad. The other possibly breed (I didnt worm her) seems to be less thin, her coat is AWFUL though, but seems to be getting better and is less boney. Pin 2 my wethers, they all seem to have awful dry hair BUT are less boney than before.  I did worm them as well.   Pin 3 our "Love Shack" my buck and a doe.  They have beautiful coats and do not feel boney at all.  As a matter of fact...... I havent seen my doe in a week (Hubbys been doing to feeding last week) and I found UDDERS!!!  We are going to have our first batch of babies any day!!!   She was originally breed in Oct but in mid January she went back into heat (or so I thought) so she went back with the buck.  I left her there hoping that if she didnt take that heat he would get her the next.  Well it just seems that my wethers were wrong on who was in heat, because it wasnt her!  The babies should be here 16-20th.   We couldnt be more happier!

Now... How did I get these awful worms and when how long after I worm again (10-12 days later, 2nd dose) should I wait to have them tested again?

Sandie
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 11:54:45 PM »

gj here is a link on barber pole, sorry i can't tell you from experiance i have not had that kind out here in the arid plains where i live.  of the wormers i saw listed in the thread, ivomec, cydectin and dectomax are all safe to use for pregnant goats. since you used cydectin maybe they are resistant in your area and you need to switch to a different wormer for it. from what i read on it they are tough parasites and may need follow up wormings of any of the effective types to completley get rid of them.
http://goatbeat.net/index.php?topic=3211.0
on your pregnant doe that you thought was in heat , that does happen sometimes in the last month or two of pregnancy as the hormone levels change preparing for birth it can make the doe smell like she is in heat when she really isn't.  i would be sure and remove the buck from her now as he might cause her some problems as she gets closer to birthing, some of them will even try to breed a doe while she is in labor causing infection, additional stress on the doe, and possibly trampling newborn kids .
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 07:07:23 AM »

the barber pole worm side affects is what you mainly have to be concerned with.  Yes, you need to kill the eggs, no doubt about that.  But the side affects from Barber Poles is horrible, and usually the cause of death even after treatments to kill the worms..Anemia is the absolute side affect of barber pole worms and you must deal with it or it will get worse and worse until the goat dies.

Geritol, Spinach leaves, cooked oatmeal w/raisins, red cell, iron shots, all these are treatments/supplements to treating anemia.

I want you to be VERY careful with redcell and iron shots..use your vet for iron shots, those can be overdosed and the overdosage is death, there is no recover shot for it, there is no cure for it.  And actually only use the Vet if you TRULY trust them with your goats and they know what they are doing with goats..even they will treat a goat like a cow and overdose them, and it's not their goat their loosing, so don't let them "guess" with it, make them "KNOW" it.

I prefer going all natural with the iron supplements..geritol, raisins, spinach leaves, cooked oatmeal and so forth..the worst you'll do by giving too much of this is diarrhea, and that's cureable.  However it will take longer to get them through and over it.  But it's a safe way of doing it.

Anemia is not a one time treatment, it must be treated daily until the gums/eyelids are nice and pink again. 

Your Doe that's pregnant is not showing how thin she really is because she is pregnant.  You did worm her right?  You can't let her go with barber pole worms inside her, pregnant or not..the kids will usually die if you do, remember what's in Mom will be in those kids too..the doe will go into labor sending these nasty things surging throughout her entire body and that could cause death in her as well.  She needs to be wormed if you haven't done it already.  Check her eyes and gums and start her on the spinach leaves or raisins or cooked oatmeal w/raisins and molasses added to it, to help her combat anemia..other wise you'll have a serious situation when she gives birth.

I agree with Sandie on the Doe that's in with the buck..I'd move her away from him or him away from her as soon as you can.

Hang in there..this is a long battle you're going to fight..if those barber pole worms live in your dirt, we can't do anything about them until spring and reinfestation can happen over again, but we know what to do now, and we know we can whip those things..but it's going to take time and patience and endurance to run this race.

~ Birdie ~
BackofBeyond
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 07:29:45 AM »

I lost a goat to barber pole worms and two went to the vet for extreme treatment.

One thing to remember, keep their energy up.  On my doe, I had to give her 60cc's of Karo a day for a week until she perked up enough to eat.

I had no idea that the worms were becoming chemical resistant.  One thing to check into is herbal wormers.

Good luck!

Oh, I used an iron vitamin from the pharmacy - not Geritol - on the recommendation of the vet (she's a good goat vet).
giftfarms
Bouncing Babies

My Babies...Sunbathing!

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 07:36:44 AM »

I did move her from the Buck, she has the pin all to her self (and the food).   

Thanks guys

giftfarms
Bouncing Babies

My Babies...Sunbathing!

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 05:50:31 PM »

So its ok to worm my preggor does with Cydectin?  I thought it caused abortions.

Sandie
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »

no cydectin is safe to use for pregnant goats it is a different one that causes abortions not cydectin.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »

Valbazen causes abortions.

not cydectin..

list of safe pregnant and nursing doe wormers are;
safeguard (kills only tape, hook, round and pin worms)
Ivomec injectable
Ivermectrin horse paste wormer
Cydectin cattle pour on (given orally)
Dectomax injectable

~ Birdie ~
giftfarms
Bouncing Babies

My Babies...Sunbathing!

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »

Its safe at any stage of Pregnancy?

Sandie
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 10:52:01 PM »

yes the ones birdie listed can be given at any stage of pregnancy.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: