HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 02:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19432 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  ivomec safe for dogs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: ivomec safe for dogs  (Read 20670 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »

here's a kicker for you Dragon..

Ringo is now 7 yrs old..I raised him using Ivermectrin horse paste wormer all his life.  He only went to the vets offices to get the state required Rabie shot..never any thing else.

I brought Ringo to LA with me.  He had to be licensed for the Parish, ok, I took him to the Vet to do that, they pulled blood to test the dog for Heartworms and any other infectious diseases before they would give me his parish license being new to the state..ok fine with me, do it.

Ringo has never been tested for heartworms, not ever in his life.  He came back negative for heartworm, using the ivermectrin horse paste wormer is as good if not better than the Ivomec, and much simpler to use, and much cheaper by far.  A 2.79 tube of ivermectrin horse paste wormer from Jeffers is exactly what I use.

When Sasha arrived, and she had the hookworm issue that almost took her life after 4 days of being here, I had to worm Ringo for hookworms as well.  Ringo had just been wormed 2 weeks prior to it, and he's still alive, and doing very well..Mixing those two wormers didn't hurt him at all.

~ Birdie ~
cypressridge
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »

I regularly use the pour on at my kennel ! Here is the kicker though. It is to be put on the dogs back for flea tick and mite treatment and prevention . Works very well . Need only use every 8 weeks or so. The dosage for ADULT dogs is 1 ml per 15 to 22 pounds. Stuff works great .
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »

I won't take the chance of giving ivermectin without making sure my dogs are HW free. I've seen what happens when a HW+ dog is given the preventative. My ex gave my late-ex-inlaws  what was my GS/Lab dog. They didn't give him the meds to prevent HW but one day just up and started without testing. He was HW+ and died, a rather slow death from the dead worms clogging his veins and arteries.

I tested my dogs when I first got them, either as pups or adults, and then keep them on the HW dose of ivermectin all year long.

My dogs mean more to me than life itself, I will not take a chance with them and HW.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »

just because we don't test doesn't mean we don't love our dogs.  That's not it at all.  I'm just saying it does work.

~ Birdie ~
cypressridge
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 11:01:09 PM »

Here is where I get excited about talking about heartworms! Ivermectin is actually the best treatment , in proper dosage, for heartworms. It sterilizes the female worms and kills the eggs ! The problem with a massive dose is that ALL of them die and clog arteries and veins, causing death . Everyone that reads this please go to old country vet . Com. And check out his video on heartworms! Its very informative and helpful . Also google glory ridge shih tzu,s . She has a great site with the proper dosage for ivermectin in dogs. But I personally am using it to treat a dog with heartworms because she has been on iver heart and still got infected. Started treatment 6 months ago and she is now heartworm negative
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 06:00:16 AM »

With an adult rescue dog or one that hasn't had proper care in it's life time, I could understand testing prior to giving Ivomec..but all our dogs are gotten as puppies, and started on Ivermectrin right away.  I know puppies can have/get heartworms as well, but a well taken care of puppy isn't going to be a 1/16th of a risk than an adult dog would be.

Our puppies/dogs are properly cared for in all aspects, not just worming, and I'm not bragging, I'm just saying that you shouldn't have this "risk" issue if you're properly caring for the dog.

Cypress, your issue with your dog that was on the treatment plan (yes your treatment plan is what my LA vet tried to get me to do with Ringo and Sasha and when I told her what I was doing she said I didn't need it.), was it because the Iver treatments were over the expiration dates?  I've heard that you must watch the expiration dates when using it as a preventative.  I don't know this has any thing to do with it "factually" but that's what I was told.

~ Birdie ~
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 10:58:31 AM »

Birdie, could you please sticky this thread so we can always have this info available.  Either that or put the info on dosing in the vet section.  This is info I would have liked to have a long time ago so I wouldn't have had to spend so doggone much money on those heartworm chewables for my dogs.

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
cypressridge
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »

Birdie , the expiration dates could be the case . Just saddens me I bought them from the vet for a not so cheap price . Not sure if everyone has heard but in the southeast they have found heartworm strains that are immune to certain drugs and even immune to ivermectin
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »

Cyrpess, thanks for that info..I'll be checking with my Vet to see if that strain is in our area.  LA is all new to me, so I've not heard about it yet, number one thing on my "to do list"..thanks!

Pam B..yeppers I'll make it a sticky for you. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Pam B
Goat Genius

South Central Michigan

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »

Thanks, Birdie!  You're a good egg!   Cool

Willow Fen Farm
Nubian Goats
moonspinner
Caprine Guru

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »

One of my goat customers just told me last night he gave Ivermectin to his lab retriever and the reaction was so bad it almost killed him. Had to be rushed to the vet for a charcoal treatment.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »

Like any drug, animals can be sensitive to the ingredients in it. I've used it for years with all breeds of dogs, and all the sledders and dogs owners I know use it. Vets use it for dogs, its the #1 drug for heart worm prevention. I even use it on my cats.

Ivermectin plus or some of the ivermectin products for horses contain other medications that dogs should not get.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »

Oops, also, if the dogs has heartworm, giving it ivermectin can kill it, the dog has to be HW- before it can be dosed with it safely.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 06:55:44 AM »

I've used Ivermectin Horse Paste Wormer for years and years..I won't believe it's harsh for them at all.  My dogs are all over 100+ pounds and Ringo 127 pounds, and again for licensing, they had to have a blood draw and both were negative for all worms and heart worms.  Not one reaction to any one of them over all these years. 

There is the odd case that one will be allergic to it..that happens with any animal and any wormer. 

Nemax (however you spell that name) didn't work on Sasha (given by the breeder of Sasha)..a dog wormer no less..and she almost died, and $697.00 later, and a lot of TLC, with a sensitive stomach now, Sasha is alive.  She almost died of hookworms 4 days after I bought her.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 10:26:34 AM »

Some of the horse wormers that are ivermectin also have other chemicals added to them (Ivermectin Gold for one), the plain ivermectin paste is safe. I use both the paste and the injectable given orally, but not the combos pastes that are made for horses. Some are safe and some are not. The added chemical in the Ivermectin gold is safe for dogs at lower doses, it kills one form of tape worm, but may be too strong for some dogs.

Nemax (or whatever it is) isn't a very good wormer. Its a basic low % sort of thing that really doesn't do much.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: