HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:21:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
45390 Posts in 3078 Topics by 779 Members
Latest Member: jeff891
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Doe leaking amniotic fluid?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Doe leaking amniotic fluid?  (Read 1187 times)
boerbaby
Caprine Guru

« on: April 06, 2010, 10:11:04 PM »

We have a doe that has kidded before. I'm not sure of due date. Her ligs have been gone for probably a week, but what is strange is that she has been slowly leaking what looks like amniotic fluid or maybe urine for about 6 weeks. It has discolored her whole back end and legs (looks like when a buck stains his front legs). I'm wondering if this is anything to be concerned about. Never had this before. I'm a nurse and I know humans sometimes have a slow amniotic leak but wasn't sure about goats and if should be concerned.

She eats fine, acts fine. Just like an expecting doe; chewing cud, moaning etc. Smiley

Kertz Farm
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »

From my experiences with girls who did what you're describing here..it's just urine..they get so heavily pregnant that they don't squat down far enough and it dribbles on them..causing this stain.  There is a lot of pressure on her kidneys/bladder are from this pregnancy, so it's not uncommon to see this or have this happen.

I wouldn't fret about it, but I would try to clean her up, clip the hairs that are in the way of her urination, and maybe apply some mineral oil to her hair/skin so this doesn't penitrate to her skin and cause gaulding or sores, and will help prevent future staining.

~ Birdie ~
Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:54 AM »

I had one do the same thing and it was urine from the pressure. I am sure she is okay. I would do like Birdie suggested clean her up and just keep an eye on her.
boerbaby
Caprine Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »

Thanks for the quick responses. I wondered if it wasn't urine (can relate to that pregnancy thing from when I had kids Grin) . I will keep an eye on. Thanks again!

Kertz Farm
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:50:31 PM »

I've had a couple of does (both Boers) who had such big kids that they put pressure on the bladder when she was lay down to rest. The pressure caused her to leak urine whenever she would lay down. I was soooooo glad when she finally kidded.

The best way to tell is to get close to the stain and sniff. Amniotic fluid has it's own particular smell. What you'll probably smell is urine.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: