HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 02:12:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44855 Posts in 3030 Topics by 813 Members
Latest Member: Capricorn
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Hoof Wall Seperation
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Hoof Wall Seperation  (Read 963 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: June 26, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »

Our new 4yr old buck has a couple feet with hoof/wall seperation. Im suspecting it could be some sort of deficiency but I cant remember what or what to do for him.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »

Hoof wall separation can happen with all this rain we've gotten..it softens the walls and they separate.  I use epoxy on it to hold them together..however, you need to keep him in the dry, out of the moisture and water. 

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »

The ground is finally drying up at least.
No one else has it thats why I was thinking it could be defiency. He's from the dry side of the state.
Regular Epoxy? As in glue???
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »

yep just a regular epoxy..you don't have to put a whole lot into it..just enough to keep it from tearing further out and away.  Also helps to keep the moisture out of there.  We use to use that on our horses hooves when they would split upward toward the fetlock, and that's not good, so we used the epoxy to stop the cracking.  I only had to use it on two goats back home when we had that horrible flooding in 2008..and I had to move all the goats up the hill..we were super wet for a long time, and rocky land to flood, up on a hill side no less..that was bad.  But it did help those two goats, so I hope this helps your goat as well.  Ours weren't real bad, but it could have been bad had I not stopped it pretty quick.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:47:14 AM »

Super Glue would be okay to use.  The medics used it in Desert Storm on woundss---so it should be just fine on the goats' feet. 
We had that problem last year when it was so wet here.  We just trimmed the feet and the cracking stopped as soon as it dried out.  You might give them a little calcium to toughen up the hoof.
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Kopertox applied to the bottom of the hoofs will help toughen the feet too.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: