HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:01:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
45575 Posts in 3079 Topics by 779 Members
Latest Member: jeff891
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Parrot Mouth ?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Parrot Mouth ?  (Read 2086 times)
K-Ro
Goat Genius

Serbin Ziegen

« on: February 13, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »

Well had another big buckling born this afternoon, but this ones lower jaw is a good 1/2" shorter than the top, is this what is called parrot mouth?

I know not to do this breeding again, but is there anything we can do to help the little guy out?  He will be banded and probably freezer bound anyways.

He was able to nurse from mom and got the first colostrum.

I will post some pics later this evening just to make sure this is what it is, I have never seen it before.

bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »

As long as he can eat and drink, he will be going into the freezer, I wouldn't worry about it.  I have never seen parrot mouth and would like to see pictures of him.  It will be a learning experience for me too K-Ro.  Smiley

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »

The name says it all, they look like a parrot! You may have to send him to freezer camp early or he may be able to eat just fine, its a hit or miss thing with them. Some adapt just fine, others are hard keepers. While being on mom, there should be no issues, the grain and hay may cause troubles, or just the hay. If the grain is a problem, you can try soaking it to make it easier to chew. If it's the hay, try feeding very fine grass hay. And band him as early as you can so there are no accidents!

There is also the chance that his jaw may straighten out as he gets older.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
K-Ro
Goat Genius

Serbin Ziegen

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »

clickable pics

MOSESCREW
Caprine Guru

I love my Middle Tennessee Goat babies!

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:51:51 PM »

Yes...I would say that this is a classic case of parrot mouth....I had one born with this problem and he did very well with eating from birth all the way up to slaughter!!!! I think it all depends on the degree of the defect and the goat!!! He is such a sweet looking little fellow!!!

To know you have ENOUGH is to be rich! Count your blessings! Roll Tide Roll!!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »

Do you remember Polly?  She was born with a parrot mouth and believe it or not, she outgrew it..you couldn't tell she was ever that way at age 5 months.  My Vet told me that she was so cramped and tangled inside her momma, that she just didn't have room to lay right.

If I were you, I'd give this baby plenty of time to out grow it..this baby looks no worse than Polly did at birth.  I have pictures in Photo bucket of it..when I get to "my" computer, I'll post them for you.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 09:12:01 AM »

He is a cutie!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
K-Ro
Goat Genius

Serbin Ziegen

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »

Yep he's a cutie.  it was another hard birth for one of my girls though. He came out head only and was stuck, stuck, stuck.  Finally managed to get one leg out then the rest of him.

But they are both fine and he is just a jumpin and runnin this morning.  Obviously, been nursing well too.

I don't remember Polly right now, I might when you post a pic though.

bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »

Thank you for posting the pics K-Ro.  I had never seen parrot mouth before.  Is this a genetic thing, or just because he was cramped? 

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 11:37:01 AM »

A "true" parrot mouth is genetical..however, with Polly and I'm going to say with K-Ro's description of how this boy came into the world..with him as well it's the delivery and formation in the womb.  Polly was a huge kid too, very large for a Doeling..she was if I remember correctly 12.5 pounds and her twin sister a little over 7 pounds. 

here's the pictures of Polly when she was newborn and just a few days old..
newborn..just a few hours old..hadn't even stood up yet..

a month old..see how she's coming out of it at a month old?

now look at her at just 3 months old..it's hard to see, I know that..but she's the same as totally out grown it by this age..at 5 months old you couldn't tell she was ever a parrot mouthed kid.

My vet checked the roof of her mouth, and it wasn't deformed at all..she advised me to give her time..that with her mouth the way it was, she could still nurse and do just fine and she did, she's beautiful today..those bright blue eyes she has is just splendid and gorgeous!

Give your boy all the time he needs..I'll lay odds he comes right out of it. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Oregoats
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

If it is truly genetic, he won't grow out of it. But if he is able to nurse fine and is
freezer bound anyway, I would just not really worry about it. Problems start when
they get to grazing age and that bottom jaw being way back doesn't allow them to
get at the grass properly. If fed hay and/or grain he won't have a problem.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth- Albert Einstein
littlebit
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 01:20:27 PM »

He's too cute to be freezer bound!!!!  Is that a pygmy goat?  How big do they get?
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 05:29:59 PM »

Well, I was told by an "old time vet" how to help that lower jaw move forward. Let him suck on your thumb and as he does, gently pull that lower jaw out a little at a time. He said gradually it will bring it forward to normal.

K-Ro
Goat Genius

Serbin Ziegen

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 06:50:41 PM »

awww, Polly is cute.  Glad she came out of the parrot mouth.

He is a French Alpine that is our 'main' breed around here.  We do have 3 pygmies running around but I have not bred them in a few years, they are 'pets'.

This boy will be banded and he's freezer bound anyways.  I say that every year, and have yet to put one in the freezer, lol.  They have all found pet homes, except 4 wethers I sold for a Quincentara party (yes, I am sure I spelled that wrong too).

At this time, he's a happy nursing little guy. I will work with his lower jaw to see if I can get it to where it needs to be though.

pearplum
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

The Lincolnshire Fens. England.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 02:55:17 AM »

So long as he can feed he will be fine.My Stu-Magoo had the worst parrot mouth I've ever seen (much more pronounced than either Polly or this new baby) but he grew to be enormous and lived to a happy old age. In his prime he was well over 230lbs so it didn't slow down his eating!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: