HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 01:20:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20244 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Would you like to share your feed grain mix..if so post it here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Print
Topic: Would you like to share your feed grain mix..if so post it here.  (Read 62845 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: March 12, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »

I am starting this thread so that our members who have questions regarding feeding regimens and types of feed can view this and get ideas for their own herds. 

If you would please submit your feed grain mix, supplements, and what breed you're feeding it to.  This way if you have a Dairy herd with a feeding regimen suitable for Dairy Does, then the member searching for Dairy Feed can find it easier..If you're feeding a Meat Herd, then please state that as well. 

I will start this off in the next reply..

Thank you for taking the time to share with others who need advise or would like to better their feeding program.

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:18:10 PM »

Feed grain mix for Meat Herds, (I use this grain mix on all my livestock animals, Goats, Cattle, and Horses..I believe it would be good for all breeds of goats as well.)

This my mix it's approx. 18 to 20% protein.

1000 pounds Chipped Corn (chops will work, but I like smaller pieces of corn for babies to eat)
750 pounds Rolled Oats (switched to Oat pellets/cheaper and higher in digestable protein the babies love them, they are very tiny, and soft for babies to eat)
250 pounds Soybean Meal
100 pounds (give or take a little) Soy Hull pellets
100 pounds Black Oiled Sunflower seeds
16 pounds salt (I run 32 pounds salt in the summer)
34 pounds Calcium
150 to 200 pounds Wet Black Strap high fat Molasses (100 pounds in the summer)
Vitamins A, D & E

Supplements:
For all Livestock;
Fastrack Microbial/Probiotic (all natural)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:42:29 PM by imalilbirdie » Logged

~ Birdie ~
ockeracres
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:46:24 AM »

This is a mix I just came up with for my Dairy does, and kids.  I get it for the first time Friday, so I'll guess we'll see how they like it.  I used to feed a sheep feed from the same place that mixes this, but they didn't like all the fine stuff (they used soybean oil meal). 

I also feed free choice mineral, free choice kelp, free choice baking soda, and top dress the feed with Diamiond V Yeast Culture.

If anyone has any thoughts on changing this, please let me know.  Like if I have too much of an ingredient.  I do like my feed a little sticky, so that when I use an herbal wormer or have to add something dusty to their feed, it will stick.

This is for 500lbs.

Barley 50 lbs
Oats 75 lbs
BOSS 75 lbs
Whole Corn 43 lbs (my girls seem to like whole corn better)
Protein Pellet 250lbs    (20%protein to help bring the protein up)
Wet Molasses 7 lbs

Total Crude Protein (according to my calculations)  16.38%

I was told too much protein will burn a goat out and make them thin, that a 16% is a good amount.

ockeracres
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »

I just need to add a little note, the mill thought I said 150# of barley, so my feed this time was 600# total and 150# of that barley.  Though the goats seem to like it and eat it down well.  I tried it myself, it smelled so good I couldn't resist.  It tasted awesome!  I ate like a handful (well except the whole corn, too hard on the teeth).  I guess I was really getting my whole grains!
Sand Creek TWH N Dairy
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 08:26:12 AM »

I'll be glad to share ours...just have to find the sheet and I'll get em' on here. We use the dairy ration and the meat ration both. I know the meat stampede has cocci med's in it..loads of blackoil sunflower seeds and high protein ... it's a wonderful mix that just slams the weight on them. And, omggggg they go nuts over it!!!
The Bachelor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »

Hmmmmm..... Mines pretty easy...... It kind of goes along with my whole management thing....

I put grass in front of em and a billy behind em. Thats about it......

Oh yeah. Sweetlix meatmaker 16/8 mineral
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:31:01 PM »

my mill has a corn/oat/molasses mix that is 16%
i buy 150#'s of that and 50#'s of whole oats
(there is so much molasses in it that it is a solid brick so we mix the oats in to break it up)
goats love it and their coats are shiny and their weight is good
S0rcy
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »

I chose the same thing the previous owner fed,
1 #50 whole oats
1 #50 cracked corn
1 #40 black oil sunflower seeds

I found a great nice leafy hay at a local feed store and I will be giving small amounts of a coat conditioner mix (proprietary secret LOL) mixed with just a tiny bit of high quality vegetable oil and a tablespoon of molasses. Once a month they get a lemon balm and sea salt massage.
Candace
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:07:53 AM »

Ourr comes to about $6 per 50 lbs also, DH mixes it to have forage too, and our goats have done well, we have BOSS and mineral and baking soda out...WE have been able to feed this without hay when we ran into a stretch, and they eat and look great...So, really, it isn't jsut a grain mix...I don't know what you would call it....When he ordered it the last time he just filled the feeders and they ate what they wanted....We talked about the bran, but haven't gotten it added, you guys just reminded me I wanted to...Our last order was
1000 lbs alfpha pellets
3570 lbs corn
2280 soybean hulls (roughage, they really like them! lol)
920 corn meal I think (it's ddg corn? on the slip)
230 bs liquid molasses
4 tons/$960/$6.02

How much bran would you add to 8000 lbs?
S0rcy
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:18:42 AM »

Here is an article that talks about finishing cattle with BOSS included in their feed. It produces better CLA (Conjugated linoleic acid) levels. Provides better body weight and healthy immune system.

http://www.mbforagecouncil.mb.ca/Repository/Projects/Beef_for_the_Health_Food_Mkt_FINAL.pdf
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »

to anyone that knows what they are doing...
LOL

i buy 150# of 16% premixed sweet feed (corn, oats, molasses, and some sort of pellet)
i add 50# of whole oats and 50# of cracked corn

can anyone tell me what my percentage now is?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »

I know it's lower than the 16% but what it is exactly I don't know..however here is why it's lower than 16% after adding the oats and corn..

Oats, digestible protein count is 9.4%
Corn, (cracked or chops) digestible protein count is 9%

The pellet you see in the mix is called Soybean Pellets..THAT'S where your protein is..digestible protein 33.7%

By adding the corn/oats, you're reducing the amount PPM that the goats are getting thus cutting it almost in half by weight and amount added.  I think I would add some BOSS which are 13.9% Digestible protein or I would add something, soybean oil (which is really high up in the 40+% digestible protein), or something to get it back up to at least 14 to 16% protein.

~ Birdie ~
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »

i talked to my brother who is genius material
lol
he and i figured it out to be about 13%
but i was figuring corn to be 6% and forgot about the BOSS i do add
so if i have 150# of 16% = 24#protein
50# corn of 9% = 4.5#p
50# oats of 9% = 4.5#p
12#BOSS of 13% = 1.6#p
for a grand total of 34.6# of protein for 262# of grain for a grand total of
i think
13% Sad
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »

If I were you I would stop adding the extra oats and corn.  Leaving it the way it is, and adding the BOSS.  Goats require a minimum of 14% protein. 

~ Birdie ~
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »

we have to add something extra too it because the molasses is so sticky
the boss wont break it up enough
what do you suggest?
thanx in advance

Just figured out that if i use 150# of 16% and added 25# of BOSS it still leaves me at 16%
i think
that doesn't sound right but the math figures
150x16%=24
25X13%=3.25
27.25/175=16%
??? ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:56:57 PM by heavenlyhaven » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: