HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 01:40:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19475 Posts in 1385 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Would you like to share your feed grain mix..if so post it here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print
Topic: Would you like to share your feed grain mix..if so post it here.  (Read 63892 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »

that's because the Boss proteins aren't as high as the soybean pellets that are inside the original bag of feed.  Soybean is what makes that sweet horse feed 16% protein..according to the PPM that they use.  Molasses, they use TONS of that in premixed feeds, because it's heavy, and it allows them to use less grain material to weigh out to 50#'s of feed.  Yes, it does become hard as a rock.

do you have a feed mill near you?  my suggestion to everyone is to mill their own feed, and construct it to fit your feeding regimen.  I use less molasses in the summer months because it generates heat in their bodies, more in the winter months to keep them warmer.  However, our molasses isn't straight molasses..we mix the molasses 3/4 molasses with 1/4 soybean oil, which not only preserves the feed from molding, but it also maintains a higher protein (soybean being loaded in protein), and keeps the molasses from becoming hard like a rock.

Can you find a bag of Pumpkin seeds?  If you can the pumpken seeds are high in protein as well and would reduce the protein amount, as it's just about as high as soybean is..you have to find an ingredient that is as high or higher than the soybean, to keep your protein amount the same or higher when mixing other ingredients.  Anything lower than the soybean, will bring the protein amount down.

~ Birdie ~
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 08:54:14 AM »

thank you so much
will do some looking for pumpkin seeds
hmmm...
no feed mill around... Sad
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »

try this link here in GB, it might help you construct a high protein feed.

http://goatbeat.net/index.php?topic=969.0

~ Birdie ~
Sandie
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »

to un brick the molasses in your mix you could add in some vegetable oil , which would also get your fat and protein levels up some.  also helps cut down on any 'grain dust'  or i think it was kit that said she was using alf alfa pellets that were dusty a bit of oil mixed in with that will help too.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 02:23:36 PM »

it just takes a tiny amount of oil of any kind, as it will cause scours..so be careful how much you add.

~ Birdie ~
Sandie
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »

thanks birdie i forgot to mention that. start with small amount of oil once their system get used to it you can gradually increase the amount if you want to and it will not cause harm, the scours are not the same as the stuff caused from disease but it does indicate that it was to much of a dietary change all at once, so make any changes gradually.  i use oil to up the calories for my old angora who has lost most of her teeth and can't get adiquate nutrition from normal feeding , started out adding a teaspoon full to each of her feedings a year ago she is now getting about a 1/4 cup of extra oil each day but that amount was achieved over several months time of gradual increases. and she does not have scours from it. now that is a really high amount and i would not feed that much to most goats but that is the only way to get enough calories in this one.
cariboujaguar
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 05:16:58 PM »

I JUST found a mill and haven't even started to think about what I wanted mixed into my tote which would be a 2 ton bag. We can't order anymore then that it would go bad too quickly. ANY advice would be cool!

right now I buy bags and mix them in their buckets and I don't knwo the percentages. I am buying:

1 bag alfalfa pellets
1 bag timothy or orchard pellets (whatevers cheapest at the time)
1 bag organic all purpose livestock feed- corn, oats, barely etc
1 bag local store brand goat feed- all pellets with copper and calcium and all that good stuff added
1 bag BOSS
buckets of horse guard

I FEED:
1 lb of each above mentioned 'bag' in each feeding pan
3-5 scoops horse guard
.5 lb BOSS
pour a little red-cell on it for selinium and such, mix all together and serve

they like it, dunno how good it is for them lol.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »

?? what is horse guard, and is it medicated?  Is it a wormer?  Do you give that every day if it is?

~ Birdie ~
needs to know more
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »

Not sure I understand. But here is my 1/2 cents worth.
If your goats have pasture/browse and/or you are feeding hay, presuming grass hay. As I do remember you where in the hay bussiness!!!  I don't understand why all the hay pellets in your feed? Just wondering on that one?
The horse guard. Hum? Hadn't thought about giving that to my goats!!!  Would you be able to get it in a large enough quanity? And would your mill be willing to add it for you?
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »

Okay folks---what is horse guard!!
Ace
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 08:17:30 PM »

I typed in horse guard into my search engine......it's selenium, biotin, and a few other things I can't remember  Roll Eyes
Ace
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »

I just checked the site again, it has lysine, too. 

Biotin
Lysine
Methionine
Organic selenium
XP Yeast
Vit. A
Vit. D3
Vit. E
Vit. B1 (Thiamine)
Vit. B2 (Riboflavin)
Vit. B6 (Pyridoxine)
Vit. B12
Vit. C

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »

so it's more of a probiotic than anything else..a feed supplement.  ty Ace.

~ Birdie ~
cariboujaguar
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »

Yay I stumped you guys! I dunno, they had samples at the feed store, it had ORGANIC selenium in it which was a big deal to me and when I talked to the sales rep she said she'd been feeding it to her Pygmy's for 10 years. Why all the hay pellets? I guess I spoil them? I never knew about proteins and percentages and such, I just went 'oh this is yummy and this is yummy and this is good for them and this has vitamins' and mixed it until it seemed to be a benifitial ration and feed it. This is just winter feed, in sumemr they only get organic all purpose livestock feed which I think is only a 13% if I read the bag correctly. My goats had a hard time keeping weight on last year with our cocci and worm overload so this was like an emergency ration I made up because it was keeping them alive. This year I want to give it more thought because  my husband gave me the green light to get our own mix milled for us and it's only $200 for a 2 ton tote DELIVERED no matter what I put into it, so I'm super excited! SOOOOO any advice would be greatly appreciated and I love this thread and will continue to read it and try to make the perfect mix for my goaters  Grin
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 06:21:25 AM »

Careful with that selenium though.  With the BOSS and Red Cell..could be too much and won't show up right away..it could take time to see the affects of it.

Persons living in a high selenium area wouldn't be able to feed those two ingredients.  Sandie, (mod in GB) is in Colorado, and she can't feed selenium at all, as their area is in the deadly high selenium area.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: