HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2018, 06:50:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1654 Posts in 79 Topics by 726 Members
Latest Member: chester_boer
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Would you like to share your feed grain mix..if so post it here.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Print
Topic: Would you like to share your feed grain mix..if so post it here.  (Read 65509 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

Molasses is not intended for a daily use in water.  So if you're wanting to try that, just a tablespoon of it to a bucket would be all I would do.  It's really good to give to a Doe who's just birthed though...you want to give it to her in fact.  It builds her sugars back up after kidding and gives her warmth and energy to tend to her kids.  In fact most of us give our newly birthed mom's all the molasses water they want after they kid, but we don't continue to give it to them...no longer than a week for sure. 

Molasses is sugar basically...too much adds too much weight to them, and too much in the summer months can cause stroke, because molasses holds body heat, so we want to limit the molasses in the summer months, increase it in the winter months to help them retain body fat, and body heat, but in the summer you don't want to do that.  Especially if you're in the southern parts of the U.S. 

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »

If it is really cold where you are (like it is here), then it wouldn't hurt to give a little molasses in the water.  I wouldn't give over a 1/4 cup to 5 gallons of water.  And don't worry if you are only watering them twice a day.  That's what we have to do in the winter and the goats are just fine.
undertall49
Bottle Babies

N.E. Ark

« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »

Where do you get the molasses? Do you use the stuff from the grocery store? Also how much do you add to the water for the doe after birthing.

We have Purebred Nubian, 2 does, 2 bucks
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #273 on: February 19, 2012, 09:26:18 AM »

Heck---I pick mine up at the store.  Just a regluar bottle of molasses.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #274 on: February 20, 2012, 06:21:59 AM »

We got ours from our feed mill...at the feed mill it's called black strap molasses.  You can get a quart or a gallon or a 5 gallon container...our mill was good to give us all we wanted...we didn't abuse that though, a gallon goes a long way, last time I got it I did get a 5 gallon container, due to lots and lots of Does Kidding that season...he was going to give it to us, but I insisted on paying a little for it. 

I just put a big blob of it in a newly birthed mom's water...I usually used a 3lb butter dish to give her all she wanted right after birthing...after that I used a 2 gallon water bucket and made it look like ice tea in color..not real strong but not real weak either.

~ Birdie ~
CajunGuy
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #275 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »

Recommended by the kiko farm I got my goats from. I only have the two kikos for now so not going to mix my own feed yet.

50%  Crossroad All-Stock Sweet 12%

50%   Special Golden Dairy 18% or 20% whichever they have in stock.

I added:
Half a handfull BOSS

A sprinkle of Fast Trac every other day.

Chris Vice
Louisiana
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #276 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »

I'm offering my little guys Performance Livestock's "Super Goat Feed".  It's 16% protein, 6% fat and 12% fiber.  Contents are listed as "grain products, plant protein products, processed grain by-products, brewer's concentrated solubles, cane molasses, mono-calcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, magnesium oxide, manganese oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, iron oxide, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, processed roughage products, Vitamin A, Vitamin D-3 supplement, peanuts and peanut chips"

It smells nice and tastes OK, and I can clearly see oats and corn bits and kibbles.  They'll pick up a piece or two and nibble on it, but mostly play in the pan and spill it.

I'm also offering "Billy Block" berry-flavored salt block.  That's mostly used for "if I can't be king of the hill (the cinder block in the playpen, then I'll just be king of this salt block!"  It's about the size of a brick.

Does this all sound about right?

Thanks,

Pat
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2012, 06:16:33 AM »

that "billy block"...never heard of that before...it's a mineral right?  Mineral is VERY, VERY important to these lil' guys...loose mineral is your best bet, not a block...copper deficiency is very bad...you need to find a loose mineral that's the highest in copper you can find.  That way you put a small dish out and if they soil it, then you haven't wasted so much...when they soil those blocks they won't eat on them and then they will go mineral deficient.  Babies tend to play a lot with this stuff, but offering it is good, as they need it when they want it. 

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #278 on: May 22, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »

Billy block is specifically for meat goats.  They sell it even at our local feed store.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #279 on: May 22, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »

I don't feed blocks to my goats...so that's probably why I've never heard of it...I don't even look at them when I buy mineral.

~ Birdie ~
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #280 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:21 AM »

Ok this year I have been quit searching for feed.
What I have come up with is and I already bought.
Soya pellets, (I know not many ppls like it but beggars cannot be choosers.)
Wheat whole.
Wheat germ (I believe) its a powder stuff that looks like fine bran.
Sweetcorn (still on the cob) home grown
Rice Straw, rough looking hay as well as my little bit of hay I cut plus pea hay. Now this will be for winter feed so????????

What would you say is a good mix of all these ingredients. I shall be mixing in Sunflower oil (not found molasses yet)salt and sugar. Still looking for extra vits to put in there.
We have now dwindled it down to 6 Females, 3 are milkers and the others are FF, plus our very own home bred Buck who is proving a hit with all the gals in town, boy is he busy. (probably 1 every 2 days.)
Sorry I get a bit confused with ingredients lol so be gentle with me.

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:43 AM »

Soy pellets are a fiber...and do contain some proteins...that's good there. Only mixed in the ration by 1/4th or less.

Whole Wheat...crude protein is 15%...it should be mixed as 35% of your feed. 

Wheat Germ "Meal" is very high in Protein...25% crude protein...won't need much of it..limited amounts is all you'll need no more than a pound or so, depending on how much you're mixing up.

Sweetcorn on the cob...I would seriously think of mixing this maybe 5% or less of the feed ration...I sure wouldn't use much of it.  Sweetcorn tends to mold, especially when it's on the cob...the sugar content isn't needed in livestock grains...though they will love it...I'd watch this one closely..it could have adverse reaction being fed daily.

Rice straw...now will this be "mixed" into the grain? or will it be your "hay" so to speak?  I don't foresee them eating it very well, as it's low to no nutritional value...it's a filler but I wouldn't feed it as a large portion of their hay consumption.

Salt yes...you can add a little of that..don't need a lot of it either.
Sugar..you don't need that..especially if you feed the sweetcorn.
The sunflower Oil will help to bring that protein count up as well as mix well with the feed to bind the dusty additives to the dense additives.  Moistening up the Wheat Germ Meal.  **if you could find some soybean oil...that will bring your protein amount up, and give you the same benefits of the sunflower oil..except the natural selenium that sunflowers contain.

Yep we gotta find some vitamins...Calcium, & Vit AD&E.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »

While it is fine to list what we think a goat feed should be and the consistency of that feed, we need to remember that other countries do not have the available grains and hays that we have here in this country.  I think that Marta is doing the best he can with what he has available.
Ace
« Reply #283 on: October 10, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »

Bob, I'm not a mixologist at all   Grin  But with what you have, I believe that you'll be fine in feeding your herd.  The rice straw will be fine to keep them going.  The straw will keep them munching and keep their rumens going.  Even if the rice straw isn't high in protein, your feed should help keep them up to snuff.   Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #284 on: October 10, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »

While it is fine to list what we think a goat feed should be and the consistency of that feed, we need to remember that other countries do not have the available grains and hays that we have here in this country.  I think that Marta is doing the best he can with what he has available.

Sally...FYI, I realize where Bob is...I never insinuated that he wasn't doing the best he could.  He asked "What would you say is a good mix of all these ingredients"  So that's what I provided him with.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: