HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:16:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Average Composition of Selected Goat Feeds
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Average Composition of Selected Goat Feeds  (Read 13862 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: March 16, 2008, 05:58:35 AM »

~ Birdie ~
nina.doria
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »

Oh, that's interesting! Where did you find that? Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:23:48 AM »

I was digging through all the stuff I printed off from G.W. years ago, and found this.  Where it came from I don't know..it had to be a website I was looking at when I was working on my feed mix, or it could have been someone sent it to me, but I just don't recall where I got it from.  I don't recall it being posted in G.W. and the print out didn't say Goatweb at the top and all my other G.W. stuff does.  To be honest I've had it for so long, that I've even forgotten where I got it from.  I just thought it might be helpful to some folks here and scanned it back into my computer and posted it. 

It does help in figuring how to build your protein levels or calcium levels or whatever.  LOL.

~ Birdie ~
Sand Creek TWH N Dairy
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »

That is a wonderful help Lil'Birdie!!! I know that the mix feed we have been giving has a nice quantity of protein and other nutrients....but having a printout to use as a reference is just awsome!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
ockeracres
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »

It looks like it came out of "Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats"  That's is what I used.   Its a great help to figure out your own recipe.  Though its really only a guide, since grains can very from where they are grown, time of year, etc,  and can vary in each batch of feed. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 04:13:10 PM »

It looks like it came out of "Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats"  That's is what I used.   Its a great help to figure out your own recipe.  Though its really only a guide, since grains can very from where they are grown, time of year, etc,  and can vary in each batch of feed. 

Years ago when I was trying to get my horse feed mix brought up to a good horse/goat/cattle feed, I went searchinig for common grains that would benefit and do well for each breed of animal.  The basic mix came from DixieCup..and then I tweeked it up to increase the protein level and I even add soybean oil to it as well, to bring the protein levels up.  Once, I got the oils and meals up to where it needed to be, then I put this analysis away.  So, it could have been any internet search display out there, so if you say it appears like "Sotrey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats" then it most likely is..as at that time, I wasn't looking for a mix, I was looking for high protein grains that would be good for all my animals.

So, it's good to know where it came from now.  LOL. 

~ Birdie ~
Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »

That same composition guide is also in my book Raising Dairy Goats the Modern Way...
jdgray716
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »

Guess I need to buy the book ... lol ... I have to have everything on paper...its so weird... Grin
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »

John just go up to the first entry, right click on it, scroll down to print and click on print, and it will print out. Smiley 

John you're not raising dairy goats..you're raising meat goats..feed mixture is a little different.

~ Birdie ~
jdgray716
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »

John you're not raising dairy goats..you're raising meat goats..feed mixture is a little different.

Boy do I feel dump...lol
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 05:30:50 AM »

I know this is an old thread and a very helpful guide....but Potatoes with a crude protein at 2.2 %.?????...and whats is the bone meal? other wise I think its a god send for helpful advise but can I just clarify
am slightly confused, everywhere I read its do NOT give potatoes to goats so I have religiously NOT given even though we have tonnes of the things...can we give in small quantities or as I have been doing NOT at all...
thanks

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 07:04:56 AM »

I don't feed potatoes to my goats either and I seriously doubt I ever will.  Potato's and Tomato's, are two I won't feed to them.  When I posted this, some of the gals said this information comes from a Dairy feed Book..given that I don't raise dairy goats, I'm not sure if dairy goat breeders feed potato's or not.

**Just thought I would mention this, when you're designing your feed for your animals..the Crude protein is the amount of protein in the feed mix, before it's eaten, you want to design your feed using the Digestable Protein amounts, that's the amount of protein that your goats will digest and be getting use of. 

According to my Mill Man, depending on the quality of the grain, the digestable protein amounts will vary from 2 to 4%.  Meaning if you have a 16% Crude Protein feed mix, and the digestable ratio is 2 to 4% less than the Crude Protein, that means your goats are only getting 12 to 14% of the protein in your feed mix. 

As we all know Goats require 14% protein.  If you feed a 14% Crude Protein feed, only 10 to 12% of that is digested, you are still lacking in protein for your goats feed.  This is why, I've always suggested a minimum amount of 16% Crude Protein, top dressed with BOSS, will help to keep your protein amounts up, and meet that demand of 14% protein.  I prefer a better protein amount than that.  I've seen a huge difference in our goats since we went to a 20% protein feed.  Digesting 16 to 18% of that protein, really makes a huge difference. **

~ Birdie ~
amyrob01
Caprine Guru

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

I have ALWAYS had trouble w/ a stronger aftertast w/ my milk each time I try to increase the protein.  Does anyone fond this doesn;t happen if you add it very gradually?  Spybean meal, BOSS, very fresh grass all do it.

Amy

~The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you refuse to take the turn~

Granite Lake Goats
PB Sannens and Nubians
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:41 AM »

Amy, I have a neighbor who has alpine, nubian, french alpine, alpine/boer cross, and a few other breeds, and she switched to using my feed mix and her milk production has picked up, her goats are gaining weight, and she says their is no different taste in her milk.  My feed mix has soybean meal, and BOSS in it.

~ Birdie ~
Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 08:49:28 AM »

The only time I have a funny taste is when there is a buck around or when they eat alot Ragweed or some ofther plant that is very strong smelling. I have a 14% protein plus BOSS for feed.  Also have hay out 24/7. My feed has Soybean meal and several other things in it. Along with some vitamins and minerals.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: