HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 01:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19475 Posts in 1385 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Average Composition of Selected Goat Feeds
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Average Composition of Selected Goat Feeds  (Read 14345 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 08:56:08 AM »

The only thing that affects my goat milk taste seems to be pine/spruce/fir needles. Gotta love that piney twang to my milk! Oh, yeah, peppermint and spearmint leaves will do it too.

I move between 16 to 18 and then 20% with no difference in taste.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »

can someone explain in basic English...I am useless at maths as well .lol I have a calculator and MS excel
how do I calculate the CP.......
if you add all the grains together you subtract it by something and add something else....Im going red here lol

so if 2 feeds per day at 1 lb per feed, we are aiming at 14% or more per day...
 ???     Embarrassed

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
amyrob01
Caprine Guru

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 11:03:53 PM »

Birdie. where is your feed ration listed?

Amy

~The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you refuse to take the turn~

Granite Lake Goats
PB Sannens and Nubians
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:06 AM »

first page Amy.

~ Birdie ~
Kaigypsy
Bottle Babies

City hippy, horse/chicken/cat parent

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »

Wave

In going over the feed list here and the one in "Storey" book, I had to ask isn't phosphorus just as important or am I reading the book wrong?  I still have other books to add but since I'm getting closer and closer to purchasing my own goats (less than two months), I wanted to really focus on nutrition & maintaining condition once they get down here.

Not sure yet if I want to mix my own feeds but I wanted to know what was out there; what needed to be done in order to do so should I change my mind. 

Cheers!

The Desert Plum Ranch-W.I.P.
Blessed Be!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »

I have fed my goats the little tomatoes and they seem to like a couple here and there, but I don't think I would feed potatoes, even though they do feed spuds in various European countries and it was a fairly common feed for cattle and pigs in the yearly part of the last century (wow, that makes me feel soooooo old!). They would boil them and feed them cooked. However, my goats LOVE potato bread.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »

Wave

In going over the feed list here and the one in "Storey" book, I had to ask isn't phosphorus just as important or am I reading the book wrong?  I still have other books to add but since I'm getting closer and closer to purchasing my own goats (less than two months), I wanted to really focus on nutrition & maintaining condition once they get down here.

Not sure yet if I want to mix my own feeds but I wanted to know what was out there; what needed to be done in order to do so should I change my mind. 

Cheers!

You know, I've been years at designing the right feed for our goats, working closely with the nutritionalist at our feed mill.  Yes, if you throw off the balances of your phosphorus then it's not good of course..working with your feed mill, and any one of the feeds in these threads are all good for goats, and when you see the price difference in fresh milled feeds to premixed feeds, you will change your mind rather quickly.

Premixed feeds have lower quality grains in them and aren't as high in protein as the fresh milled feeds are..less likely to be moldy and having a better quality of grain they will do better on it.  The vitamins in the grain mixes, such as Vit A, D & E all play a large roll in how the proteins and other vitamins bind to the system..such as it takes Vit D to bind the calcium in your feed mixes, it takes Vit E to bind the selenium..and so forth.  Just like with the human..if you eat your recommended daily allowances, breads, meats, dairy, and veggies, you're pretty much going to stay very healthy..but it's when you eat too many chips, or snake foods, or fast foods that you throw off the natural balance..so it's the same way with goats or any animal for that matter..feeding the right feed is important.

~ Birdie ~
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »

Marta loves cooked potato peelings mixed with wheat bran and crushed sunflower seed husks (whats left over from making sunflower oil)
she will climb out of her pen for that lol. she also loves baby potatoes cut up and mixed in with her pumpkin, trying to get her of off the potatoes though. apparently they are high in all the vits.

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
Kaigypsy
Bottle Babies

City hippy, horse/chicken/cat parent

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »

Hm you have point there, Ms. Birdie.  I like to really have a good idea of what I am putting in my goats because eventually it goes into me.  The closest mill to me is the ACE company...not sure if they do individual milling due to their sizes but I'll check around the South Western area.

The Desert Plum Ranch-W.I.P.
Blessed Be!
razeraxe
Bottle Babies

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »

What is the protein max?  Not that my feed would ever reach a maximum protein amount, but i am trying to start my own "feed fields."  We are working on trying to be 80% self reliant and that number would be helpful.  I just want to be careful. 
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »

We feed 18 to 20 % protein.  You can manage with 14 to 16%.  Ours are show goats so they get a really high protein,.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »

I don't know that there is a "max"...they require a minimum of 14% digestable...which is way different than the "crude" that is listed on the labels..."crude" is the undigested amount of protein in the feed..."digestable" is the amount of protein that they retain after eating it. 

Show goats or not...all goats do better on a higher protein feed...Our goats were not show goats, and the got 18 to 20% digestable protein. 

~ Birdie ~
charlie
Bouncing Babies

cammo the buck

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »

hey hey, I'm going to jump right in with my dumb Question. This year we actually did well raising corn in the garden ( a medium sized farm garden). So here it is harvest time and I know I will have all kinds of green stuff left after I harvest the corn.
TA DA, the QUESTION, can I give my goats the rest?
The herd is primarily Bore and Bore cross Nubian and Alpine (meat goats).
Yes? no?
charlie 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 05:25:57 AM »

Charlie, moderation is the key word here...yes, there are many garden plants they can have, but there are a few that are highly toxic to them.  Tomato Vines...absolutely do not give that to your goats...they are in the nightshade family and are highly toxic.  The tomato is fine, of course in moderation.

Corn stalks are fine as long as they are green...when they brown up they tend to start to mold, the stalks mold inside as well...we tend to stay away from any areas of the corn stalk that have turn black or greenish black in color...again just a few, as you can over feed this stuff and really make them sick.

I tend to follow my rule of thumb that any fuzzy vine, (Tomato, cucumber, watermelon, cantalope ect...) I stay away from feeding to my goats...past the tomato vine, the others might be fine, but I don't feed it because they do tend to mold really quick. 

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »

When we throw the garden stuff into the goat pen---we do just that:  throw it in whether it is green or dried.  It doesn't last long enough to have a chance to turn bad.  When I am husking corn I even do the husking out by the goat pen---they get the husk, we get the rest.
Of course how quickly the "greens" milk depends on the part of the country you are in.  It is much too cold here now to worry about mild on the vines.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: