HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 08:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
22606 Posts in 1639 Topics by 825 Members
Latest Member: Bah9
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Great no-waste hay feeder
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Great no-waste hay feeder  (Read 4158 times)
acfarm
Caprine Guru

« on: March 24, 2011, 01:12:51 AM »

Here are some pics of the super-duper new hayfeeder my friend built for me.  This is the second one he has built. First one is 4 feet long; this one is about 8 feet long.  Variation of the Premeir1 plan.  My goats think they are in hay heaven.  So little waste as the tray catches the dribbles.  Wow, they are not going through hay like used too.  I think it has cut the waste down by more than half!  Hardly any on the ground.

Julie-- Animal Cracker Farm, Maple Valley, WA
Pygoras, Pygmies and Mini-Nubians
Alison
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:28:44 AM »

Wow!  Your friend is a genius!  What a great design...  I can see why your goats are so pleased with it (and you, too, given the savings  Smiley

How do you think something like that would go with boer goats with horns?  Some are arriving next week, and I'm a bit nervous  laugh

That is a really terrific idea...
thanks for sharing,
Ali
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:56:16 AM »

That really is a great design. Might have to have hubby take a look at this. Thanks for sharing.

Central Ohio
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:03:08 AM »

That's a very nice feeder!

~ Birdie ~
Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »

ALison as long as you use the smaller squares for it that they cant get their heads through and only their mouth it will work for the ones with horns too.
 Nice feeder! Worth its weight in gold huh?? Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:40:18 AM »

the smaller 2 x 4 squares usually only causes hair loss around the muzzle from reaching in as far as they can to get bigger bites pulled out..the smaller 4 x 4 squares work better because they won't loose the hair around the muzzle trying to pull it or reach it.

~ Birdie ~
acfarm
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »

I have goats with horns too and they are fine with it.  They don't rub the hair off their noses with the 2x4 openings at all.  In fact with larger openings (4x4 which was on another feeder we had) they rubbed hair off noses more.  With larger openings there is much more waste because they can pull out bigger mouthfuls and the hay "dribbles" more.

Here is the diagram from premeir1 that we went off of -- changed a little because we were attaching to walls instead of having an open back.  we also used the smaller size openings on the panels.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/img/instruction/30.pdf

acfarm
Caprine Guru

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »

I just figured out that for my 18 goats, I used to go through 4 bales of hay per week, now only 2.5 bales in the last week and that was with only the 4 foot feeder done.  Now that I have the 8 foot feeder done as of yesterday, maybe they will cut that down to 1.5 to 2 bales!  I seriously did not know that they were wasting that much--- well I knew I was cleaning up a lot of wasted hay, but wow!!

kmiles
Caprine Guru

“A goose, a woman and a goat are bad things lean"

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »

Very nice feeder acfarm! I love the idea of not wasting a lot of hay. Thanks for sharing...  Grin

Young LaMancha Breeder
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »

Very Nice!
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 10:23:29 AM »

I'm jealous! I can feed 3 horses on what the goats waste every day. I'm going to see if I can get my friend to help me build one of these.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Sandie
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »

those are nice feeders premeer has the plans for them for free you can just download them.  i have wanted those for years but i am not good at building things and i haven't been able to get anyone to build them for me.
Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »

I just wire a piece of a panel to the side of the barn and slant away at the top and it works to help eleminate waste.
acfarm
Caprine Guru

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »

I was also looking for a solid front on a feeder to protect my fleece goats from so much hay particles on their topline.  The little tray also nicely catches all the "dribbles" that would have ended up on the floor.  And everyone knows that once it's on the floor it is totally "inedible!"  Grin

galtgrl
Bottle Babies

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »

Wow, that's great! 

Thanks for sharing.

Jen

"NOW how many goats do we have?"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: