HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 12:43:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
IMPORTANT!!!  PLEASE READ AND TAKE NOTE:
Below is the date and time that Goatbeat will be down, the forum can not be accessed during this time.
Down time and dates for Goatbeat:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
The time frame for the server move is:
To: 07:00 AM CDT on Saturday, September 20
Expected downtime: up to 4 hours

Stats
22712 Posts in 1654 Topics by 832 Members
Latest Member: Heart4Hooves
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Meat Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Goat Meat Taste Wether VS Buck
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Goat Meat Taste Wether VS Buck  (Read 4482 times)
happyjunker
Goat Genius

Raising Meat Goats in Lincoln County, Missouri

« on: March 28, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »

I know this is OT...does the meat taste different if the goat is intact?  I think I'd prefer to wether the goat if I was going to eat it.  I have the idea in my mind that the meat would retain the bucky taste if not.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »

since I've never eaten goat..I can't say about goat..but with bulls to steers, it depends on how they are processed..you don't cut that urine sack, or that testicle lead..I was told this taints the taste of the meat.  With Deer, if you cut either one of these and it oozes out into the meat (which it will, hard to keep it from not oozing out once it's cut), then that meat is ruined, in my opinion it's ruined..I won't eat it..some process the buck deer meat into sausage..but I won't even do that. 

I'm not sure on goats Tracy..since the goat has the anatomy like that of a deer, I'd say it would if you cut the urine sack or testile leads.

~ Birdie ~
Candace
A friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Central Kansas ~Live Life Laugh Love~

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »

Hope you don't mind I broke this out, interesting question Tracey!

Ok, IMO, I've eaten wether, older and younger. Both yummy....We have a wether right now I'm waiting for DH to dress! Smiley Already got all the stuff I need, going to make a Cajun cabrito! Smiley

But with the buck, I never ate an older buck, but I've been told, young buck or wether is about the same, meaning under a year...Older, depends on if the buck is in rutt or not...Then the meat can taste funny....

Like with deer, you can tell the difference between a yearling buck and an older one. People go for the antlers; but DH prefers the young ones, or a doe. The meat has a definite different less gamey taste...>So with mature bucks, it would probably - and this is what I've been told, have a bucky taste.

Kelsey and Candace
http://Bar6DiamondRanch.com
Fullblood, Purebred and Percentage Boers
Purebred Nubian and Angora Goats
Club Lambs, Finn & Shetland Sheep
Norwegian Forest Cats
Great Pyrs as LGD's
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »

We had a 2yr old buck in rut done as well as a yrlng intact & a  6-8 mo old.
Had the big guy all ground.
Not a hint of buckiness & I will never buy ground beef mush from the grocery store ever again!
They did an outstanding job of processing him. They took the testicles as soon as he was hung before opening him up.
The younger guy was half smoked bratz & half Hot Italian sausage...oh my!
In our case all the horror stories of buck meat did not apply.
He wasnt quite as mild a young animal, more flavorful but not bucky.
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »

Never had a intact buck but I have a wether that is freezer camp. Going to take him next week. The butcher I go to cuts it like I want it and gives it to me fresh then I grind what I want. That way I can trim more fat (if there is any). I will most likely save at least one rump roast.
Rocky

PS
Candace care to share your recipe for Cajun Cabrito?

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
Candace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »

I still haven't gotten him to dress that boy out!

BUt, pull out your big roaster, the ones like this

You can cut the goat however you need to get him to fit, you don't have to debone, as it cooks long enough that it just falls off the bone, then I just pull the bones out.....

But, I order stuff or find it locally, from this site; these seasoning are good!
http://www.cajuninjector.com
I got the Creole Butter Cajun injector seasoning, and inject him like crazy...I use a whole bottle... You can also get the Creole Garlic, I like that one too; but DH doesn't like as much garlic as I do! Smiley
http://www.cajuninjector.com/cajun-injector-marinades-with-injectors.html

I also get their Cajun shake, and I will then take all the pieces of meat and roll it liberally with the dry rub.....
http://www.cajuninjector.com/cajun-injector-cajun-shake.html
Then with him in the pan, I add some water, I don't want him to dry out! Smiley
I add the rest of the dry to the pan, I usually end up using almost all or all of 2 cans (they are 8 oz)
Then I turn it on low, about 175-200; and just let him cook for about 24 hours....
I will also add some brown sugar.... It adds a sweet taste to the tangy, allot of adding the brown sugar is to taste....The seasonings make it taste really good, but we like a sweet tangy, so DH had me add the sugar one year, and man, we had it at a pot luck and it was gone....Some people just stood around the pan! Smiley

Kelsey and Candace
Norwegian Forest Cats
Great Pyrs as LGD's
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »

Good golly Candace just reading made me drool it sounds divine!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »

I've never had goat meat.. Sad  by choice of course.  i look into their eyes and see that innocent glare back at me..and I get weak in the knees, and melt with guilt.  How can I slaughter you..you're my buddy, my pal, my friend.

Oh yeah, Birdie is a push over.  If I don't know the goat, and the processing is already done..I think I'd be able to try some of it.  Especially after reading the receipt Candace!! sounds just yummy!

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »

I also have never had goat meat.  But then again I can't eat anything that I raise and feed.  And that inclues our chickens.  They all get to die of old age.  I do ship to meat market, but that doesn't mean I have to eat the meat. 
I also have no problem with anyone that does raise their own meat---it's just me---I can't do it.
Candace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »

I was always the same way, my DH dresses them, I couldn't do it myself. My Dh can do anything, literally! lol Right now he helps them one day a week on a custom kill plant....He is used to hunting and killing and dressing for us....
Our first outing after we were married, he had a friend want him to butcher a hog for a roast, I'd never seen an animal killed. I made myself watch the process... It was swift, and actually I was impressed with how quick he handled it.
He often has helped the high schoolers dress their deer, showing them the right way to skin so they get the most meat and save the hide....

Kelsey and Candace
Norwegian Forest Cats
Great Pyrs as LGD's
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:13:38 AM »

You know Candace..back in AR, and MO..especially MO...we slaughter our hogs, and beefs, and chickens..once upon a time even some ducks..I'm use to the dressing out and cutting up and such..but the actual kill..I can not do.  I've never been able to do that.  The only livestock that we slaughtered was livestock that had never been touched by the human hand, except to feed once or twice daily, or give wormer or needed medications.  We left wild and untamed, and definitely un-named.

Once they get a name and are handled daily..I'm done..I can't kill that animal for slaughter, and NEVER could I ever kill a bottle baby..our piglets, our calves, our hand raised chickens/ducks, especially my baby goats.  I'm too soft that way..I wish I could say I was different, but I've been this way all my life.

I do remember two animals on the farm that I wanted dead...I know that sounds bad...one was when I was a kid and it was a big old goose my daddy had raising for slaughter for thanksgiving dinner..that thing attacked me and took me to the ground and scared the pants off me..when Daddy heard me screaming he came running..he whacked that goose off me and that goose proceded to take my Daddy on..it wasn't long and we were plucking feathers to have him for dinner.  He had done this prior to, but not nearly as bad with the attacks, it was more flogging and maybe a nip/pinch here and there, enough to scare you but not hurt you, but that day he flew up on me, and he actually felt like he out weighed me by a mile when he knocked me to the ground and proceded to whip the day lights out of me.  BAD GOOSE!!!  I was not his favorite person.

The second animal was Timmy a buck goat)..out of all the animals I've owned all my life, I can say some I didn't like much, but I never hated an animal..but Timmy..I can truly say I hated him..and was relieved to see him go to slaughter.

~ Birdie ~
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 06:41:51 AM »

What I cant figure out is this. Al goes hunting and dresses venison. On the rare occasion when we have had to put a goat down, he does it humanely. He will not butcher a goat for me? Which means I have to transport and pay for the service.
Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:50:41 AM »

Grin Grin  I'm the same way Nancy..I go hunting for Deer.  Sometimes I get one and sometimes I don't.  I can shoot a deer, but am selective past the requirements the law sets for us to shoot..I don't kill for trophy, I kill for the meat that we will eat, and a buck with a mature rack, is not going to be a good eating deer unless it's all done in deer sausage.  I want more than that from a Deer..so I don't trophy hunt.  I can clean and dress that deer and do just fine. 

Now with that said..I can not kill the deer on my own land..the deer I've fed and watched grow up, birth their fawns on our farm, that are tame enough they'll come within 10 to 20 feet of me when I'm putting food out for them.  Those I can't hunt and kill.  Shane and I go to hunting reserves that are not hunted around feed plots, but more so you're given a stand out in the deep woods and that's what you hunt..if the deer comes up, then you're lucky, if they don't then you're not so lucky!! hahaha.

~ Birdie ~
Candace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »

Yeah, with the deer, DH doesn't trophy hunt when he does hunt, if he does, he's not crazy about Venison, ate it allot when the boys were little, that was the staple that got them through the tight time, so he said he's had venison every way you can imagine. He prefers to hunt does when he does hunt, he said the bucks are tougher and rangy/gamey...and I understand what you said about not killing the ones on your property, as that is not at all sportsman like. Hunting like fishing, is a challenge, there has been more than one season that the boys haven't filled their tags, they enjoy getting their deer, and they do try for the big bucks (which they do for the rack, but we use the meat), but they enjoy the hunt.

I remember to well Timmy Pam... lol I've had those too!

I admit - putting down a bottle baby, or one of my angoras, I couldn't do....But this weather - I knew from the get go he was going in the pot, so I kept my emotional "distance" in a way from him.... Plus it helps that he is an annoying lil cuss now...  Wink lol All my goats stay in and are good, the beans are coming up in the field and they can't go out and snack the weeds now, this guy has been finding ways to escape, and now I've had to make a pen just for lil ole him! Argh! But, it won't be me pulling the trigger, that I know I couldn't do, and that's what I think is awesome about Kelsey, he will, and can, and won't ask me to do what I can't, even if it's just an emotional can't...Heck, I won't be surprised if Kendall dresses that goat out, our youngest, he works right along side his dad at the slaughter house, has watched and learned everything, it's kinda like being a doctor in a way, you have to have the heart for it, and not everyone can do it.....

Kelsey and Candace
Norwegian Forest Cats
Great Pyrs as LGD's
grrmyos
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »

I find I have learned it to be better with wether or doe meat. I am sure it is not every time but in most cases the buck urine is either tasted or sometimes smelt in the meat. Now done right I am sure any meat can be perfect, but overall this is rule of thumb. One reason what the market for wethers is great. The meat guys buy them up left and right and it very well come back to that you were saying imalilbirdie on the cleaning process.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: