HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 02:08:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19842 Posts in 1418 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Do cross breds produce decent fiber?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Do cross breds produce decent fiber?  (Read 1829 times)
Oregoats
Goat Genius

« on: April 02, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »

I have been trying to find a way for my wethers to find good homes.
I have also thought about felting, spinning, and or weaving. So, if I had
cross bred goats, would they produce good enough fiber to do this?
If so, what would be the best fiber goat to cross breed with my dairy
girls?

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth- Albert Einstein
Sandie
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »

sweetgoats could probably tell you better what would happen crossing dairy with cashmere.  with angoras the 1/2 and 1/2 kids will usually have a very soft sometimes slightly curly hair, it will be longer than dairy but much shorter than angora and not as fine as angora( sometimes it will be as fine but not as often in my experiance ) , may need to be sheared or may just shed out in the spring.  you can shear them before they start to shed which is january here-  and use the fiber it would do great for felting, but it usually has some coarser hair mixed in that isn't really good for spinning and weaving unless you are just going to use it to make rugs and such, it makes a yarn that is a bit sticky like a horsehair blanket. some 3/4 angoras will go to true angora and some won't, most of them will go back to true angora when the cross reaches 7/8.
PrimroseAngoras
Bottle Babies

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »

I have a "Nigora":  she is 1/4 Nigerian, the rest Angora.  Makes nice fiber, but it felts on her body before I can collect it.  Also, she HATES me pulling it or combing it.  The coarse, outer nigerian hair would not be good mixed in, if I were to clip.  So, she is just a sweet goat.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: